Must You Lie

The phone rings in my lap as mum and dad chatter away about how well the family business is doing at the dining table. I look down to see Rocky's name on my phone screen. I look back at them and smile only to take another peak at the screen. Four missed calls.

"I'm signing another deal," father says. "Next week I travel out of town for it."

That draws my attention as I look away from my phone, and back to my dad. "What deal?" I ask.

I try not to step into the business often but if it wasn't for my sound choices, it probably wouldn't be where it is now.

Dad smiles. "You should start visiting the office soon," he says. "Or are you now working for Hamilton and Co?"

I shake my head. "Of course not," I say. "Rocky can deal with his own company. We started this together, didn't we. So I'm definitely here to stay."

That draws a positive reaction out of them. It however doesn't ease the tension I am feeling in the pit of my stomach.

My phone rings for the fifth time and I don't have to look down to know it's Rocky calling. If I don't pick up, he could possibly show up here and I don't need that.

Excusing myself, I head down the hallway. I haven't spoken to him since his call a week ago.

"Hello," I answer.

"Good to see you're answering my phone," Rocky says a little bluntly.

"I was in the middle of something," I tell him.

"For a whole week?" He questions.

I nod and then stop. "Yes," I answer once I realise he cannot see me nod my head.

"What's going on, Sky?"

I frown. "Nothing."

"Doesn't seem like nothing," he says in a distraught tone. "Seems like I'm losing you."

"I don't know what you're on about?"

"Where are you?"

I open my mouth to answer but I know very well that if I tell him I'm home, he'll come immediately. "I am just on my way to the hospital."

"Hospital?" He asks. "What's wrong? Please tell me both yourself and mum are fine."

"Mum was having a check up," I lie. "I am just picking her up."

"Which hospital?"

"Doesn't matter."

"Sky," he says rather heavily. "The Hospital name?"

"Why does it matter?"

"I'm going to go there."

"You don't need to," I say too quickly. "She's fine and I'm on my way."

My heart rate increases. This isn't good.

"Sky," he says. "I won't ask again. What is the hospital's name?"

"St Peters," I say mentioning the closest hospital to our place. I know a hundred percent that Rocky will show up — I just don't know how I can get either myself or my mother there. How would I explain it to her?

————————

As the driver parks the car, I practically run the minute the car comes to a stop. I go past the car park and stop near the entrance. Scanning both the car park behind me to see if I can spot any of Rocky's cars, and the entrance in case he's already inside, I finally decide to walk in.

I straighten my skirt and take a deep breath. "It's going to be okay, Sky," I tell myself.

Walking in, I stop by the receptionist. A shiver runs down my spine and once again, I hate being here at the hospital.