It's Going To Be A Long Drive

I hold my side, the impact of Rocky throwing me over his shoulders. My wound still hasn't fully healed.

"Sorry," He says as he watches me in the rearview mirror.

"Rocky," I say. "I'm serious, let me go."

"And where do you plan to go if I do," he says as if trying to point out there is no where for me to go. I hate the tone in his voice.

I slam my hands on the window hoping someone will hear. "help!"

"It won't work," Rocky says.

"Just let me go," I shout.

"I can't," He says. "I need you, and I'm pretty sure you need me."

"I don't need you. Not now, not ever!" I shout again.

Realising that has no effect, I decide to take a different route.

"Please," I tell him. "Stop the car, I'm in pain."

Rocky watches the mirror again. For a brief second we have eye contact but I break it off.

Holding my side, the pain shoots through my body and I hold Rocky's seat in front of me to steady myself. "Please."

It's as if I experience whiplash because the speed at which Rocky breaks forces my head forward. He unlocks the car and immediately rushes to the back. "You don't look too good."

I frown. "That's what I tried telling you."

I watch behind him. Maybe if I made a run for it, I could make it. I somehow need him further away from me.

"Let me see," he says holding the edge of my shirt.

I pull back. "No, thanks."

Rocky frowns in my direction. "Stop being stubborn, Sky," he says angrily. "I'm your husband."

He reaches for me and pulls me forward by the shirt. We're suddenly too close for comfort. He lifts my shirt and it's clear to both of us that I'm bleeding through the bandage.

"I am so sorry," he says.

I watch him in disgust even though partially I feel like it's my fault. I made a deal with him and I didn't follow it through. I should have just stayed the six months and then left. The whole idea of trying to protect my heart was a stupid thing to do.

"Let go of me," I say pushing his hands away from me. "Don't apologise after you've done the doing."

He grabs my wrist. "You were going to run away, Sky. Where is the logic there? Do you want to stay with your parents," he says letting go of my wrist. "Then fine go," He says opening the car door.

"Just don't run away and disappear," he whispers this time. He voice takes a pained tone. "Just don't go somewhere where I can never see you again. I need to know you're okay."

I watch the tears slip one by one. When he started crying, I have no idea but somehow I cannot see him like this.

"If you disappear, how will I know what has happened to you. Can you imagine what that would do to me?"

I swallow. "You shouldn't love that intensely, it'll only break your heart."

Rocky nods. "I know," he says. "Too late. My heart is already broken."

He holds my hand and opens my palm. He places the Porsche's key in my hand and exits the backseat. "Go, Sky," He says. "Do as you see fit."

Confusion consumes me as I watch him turn around and walk away from the car. It's the first time I have taken my surroundings. Where are we? The car is parked off the side of the road. Two roads, one going in each direction spread the length of my vision. With only what seems like dirt and off yellow patches of grass on either end of the road.