Lollies and Loki- Ch41

A/N: just a warning, there's a frank discussion about the Bible and statement about suicide in this chapter that people may find offensive. I'm not looking for a debate or hate or anything, if you've got a problem with what I say in a fictional story as the opinions of a fictional character that may or may not even reflect my own beliefs, then either skip past it or stop reading. Any asshole comments will be deleted with extreme prejudice, because I just don't have the patience to deal with that sort of bullshit. Honestly, this story part of the Supernatural fandom, it's blasphemous as fuck– what are you expecting?

To everyone with manners, thank you <3

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE:

It had been about a year ago, when Loki was explaining demons and Hell to her after she'd found a reference to them in one of the hunter journals he'd given her, that Hermione learned the Judeo-Christian God was real. By that point she'd already long acknowledged the existence of gods (how could she not, when she spoke regularly to one?), but Loki confirming to her the existence of God with a capital 'G'... that had threatened to send her spiralling into an existential crisis in a way that not even discovering magic, secret societies and pagan gods had managed.

Hermione found the idea of an omniscient, supposed creator of everything in the universe rather disturbing, truth be told, especially considering the contents of the Bible– it outright demanded that people should murder her, for Loki's sake, that they ought to burn her to death for being a witch, declaring she was destined for Hell! And even more upsetting then that, it stated people who committed suicide ("committed", like suicide was a crime to be committed, not an act of sheer desperation!) went to Hell– if God was real and Hell was real, did that mean that the Bible was correct, and that Ness had been sent to Hell for taking her own life?

That had set off one of the most terrifying panic attacks Hermione had ever experienced, one that had taken Loki's firm reassurance that the Bible was very much a political document, one that was ghost written, badly translated and had chunks of the text omitted over the centuries by men afraid of a woman's power, to calm her down from. Clytemnestra Granger, Loki promised her, was not in Hell– Hell was for souls that were either tainted by the terrible evil they had committed or had been traded to demons in deals, not for souls who had been in too much pain and sought out their eternal rest early.

After she'd stopped panicking, reassured by her god that Ness was resting in Heaven and not suffering in Hell being relentlessly tortured until her soul twisted into something dark, broken and unrecognisable, Hermione had promptly started babbling out her many, many questions– had God really created the universe? Was any of the Bible true? How old was the Earth? Was God really omniscient?

Loki had seemed very uncomfortable with her eager questions, which she'd hastily stopped asking as soon as she'd paused for breath long enough to notice the subtle strain on his face. He did still answer her, though, because he was amazing and wonderful and thoughtful like that (Yes, Parts of it, Much younger then the universe itself but still about four and a half billion years, andSort of– apparently there was a difference between an All-Seeing God and an All-Knowing God, but most people didn't manage to make the distinction– Loki seemed strangely bitter about that). He had even given her a Bible which he'd corrected line by line.

It had actually been quite funny to read, as the corrections started off in English before quickly devolving into runes shivering with power, ones written in anger judging by how spiky and jagged they appeared on the pages. At first, Hermione hadn't actually been sure Loki even realised he'd changed languages, until she'd figured out that the runes were Enochian– the language of angels– and realised he must have taken it as an opportunity to teach her more, as obviously it made sense that he'd choose Enochian for the Bible*.