Lollies and Loki- Ch45

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE:

The letter from Hogwarts arrived exactly two weeks before September 1st, and Hermione ended up getting pecked by a very annoyed owl when she tried snatching it up too quickly. It was clear and concise, giving the date of the muggleborn orientation of Diagon Alley, spring which they would be able to purchase their school supplies. The letter contained an estimation in pounds of the amount of money they should bring to purchase said supplies, as well as precise instructions on where to meet on Charing Cross Road in London, and further instructions on how to contact Professor McGonagall if transportation aid was required. The muggleborn students were expected to be accompanied by a minimum of one parent or guardian.

Hermione thought of bringing her Aunt Iona and Uncle Arran into the secret of magic so one of them could accompany her on the orientation, something which she knew she was going to have to do soon anyway– and was quietly dreading, unable to help the instinctive fear of rejection– but really, there was only one person who she felt right in asking to join her on this milestone. Which was why, on the morning of August 25th, Hermione met Professor McGonagall and four other, nervous-looking eleven-year-olds and their equally nervous-looking parents outside a shabby-looking pub by the name of 'The Leaky Cauldron' with her "Uncle Arran" (or, at least that's how everyone except Hermione would remember seeing Loki).

She'd explained in her reply to Professor McGonagall that she'd moved out of her parents' house and in with one of her relatives, and had asked if they could accompany her instead. Professor McGonagall, of course, had said yes. As had Loki, when she'd shyly asked him, giving her a fond look and ruffling her hair as he did so.

Hermione had dressed for the day in yet another one of the dresses gifted to her by Eris. This one was forest green, with a high collar and short sleeves. The bodice had golden flowers embroidered into the fabric and opened into a flowing skirt that ended at her mid shin. Under the dress, she wore comfortable lace-up brown boots that looked deceptively normal, but had soles reinforced by steel. She ended up using magic to tame her curls into multiple smaller braids, weaving them through with little beads shaped like golden roses no larger than her thumbnail, before plaiting the smaller braids together into a single, heavy larger braid.

As she and Loki approached the group waiting outside the pub, Hermione couldn't help the excitement she felt bubbling up inside her stomach, like she'd just drank an entire jug of that awful fizzy cola drink that Loki loved so much. Professor McGonagall smiled at her and Loki as they approached. "Ah, Miss Granger, and you must be Mr MacLeod," she said, reaching out politely to shake Loki's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Oh, the pleasure is all mine, professor," Loki said, his natural charm turned up high as he smiled winningly at her, and Hermione couldn't actually picture what that expression would look like on her stoic uncle's face. Professor McGonagall looked amused, but several of the mothers looked a bit pink in the cheek.

"Miss Granger," Professor McGonagall turned towards her, a warm smile crossing her face, and Hermione felt her cheeks pink. "I haven't had time to reply to your latest letter yet, as you can imagine it's currently quite a busy time of year at Hogwarts for the staff, but I have to say, I was very impressed with what you wrote concerning Minister Fenwick's amendments to the Statute of Secrecy in 1879. I thought it was very insightful."

"Oh yes," Hermione perked up, feeling her anxiety melt away as the familiar ground of academia was established. "The influence of the international impact of the muggle French Revolution of 1789 on the changes Minister Fenwick's government made to the Statute can't be overlooked or underestimated."

"I agree entirely," Professor McGonagall said, with a nod.

"Pardon me," one of the other eleven-year-olds said, very politely, "but are you Hermione Granger?"