31

"amy," tucker sighs in relief, pulling me into a tight hug. i'm about to ask why he's being so dramatic before realizing i had just been on a plane and he was worried. "you're okay."

"hey. are you tired? we have another full day here, if you want to rest early today."

he shakes his head and smiles. it's a wary one full of anxiety and paranoia from my flight earlier, but a smile nonetheless. "i'm okay. where to?"

winter is honestly a bad time to vacation around halifax. nothing is open and towns are dead, but tucker's arm around me is making me enjoy the trip must more than i should.

we end up walking around the pier, eating some lobster, and then taking a car to peggy's cove.

peggy's cove is gorgeous. it's surreal. the rocks and water that stretch out infinitely make me feel like tucker and i are the only people in the world. there's ten other people here, but they seem to be in their own little world too.

the effect was magic.

"whoa," tucker whispers, looking around in awe. then, he sees something. "come, look at this." he breaks into a dangerous jog on the snow and comes to a little hole in the rocks. tucker, being the child he is, hops in.

"tuck?" i peer inside the hole but see nothing. there's a whole minute of silence. then, i say, "tuck, seriously, this isn't funny."

"amy- ahhhh! help!" he screams and without a second thought, i hop in the hole to help him. "gotcha!" i can see the white teeth of his mischievous grin illuminating the tiny black space.

i hit him. "you piece of shit! i actually thought you were hurt."

his grin grows impossibly bigger. "no. i know you've been waiting for me to do this." 

"what?" then his smile is gone and he's not beside me anymore. i hear him pacing around me, the little layer of snow crunching under his weight.

a pair of hands landed on my face softly and a thumb gently lifts my chin.

"may i?"

i'm too speechless to talk and choose to nod instead. 

tucker's lips are on mine a moment later.

he smiles into my lips. he's sweet and gentle and full of feeling: nothing like graham. 

this was the guy i  actually fell for. this was "jack".

"how'd you know?" i ask him breathlessly.

"your friend, boyce, truly has the loudest voice i've ever heard. and you-" he leans his forehead against mine, "-are incredibly prone to blushing."

"okay, but you know what?"

"what?" he asks and i can hear the smirk in his voice. he thinks he has control?

i slam my lips aginst him and kiss him long and hard. when i'm sure his cockiness is gone, i whisper, "but so are you."

and then i haul myself out of the hole.