XVIII

"WHY ARE WE HERE?" Kasey asked a while after Trivia, Selena's mother, had left

"Why do you think?" Selena replied, looking away from the crystal ball and back at the girl, "We're here to lure Kronos in."

"How do you know he'll be here?"

"He will, trust me." Selena stated.

Kasey stared at the older girl, "Okay, is there something you want to tell me? Why are we bringing Kronos here? We aren't strong enough to take him on!" 

Selena sighed and rolled her eyes, "I know we aren't. He's coming here to kill me."

"To-to kill you? I didn't know he was going to do that." Kasey said,

"I've known it for three years now. At least I don't have to wait anymore." Selena looked at her, "Listen, can you promise me something?"

"Really?" Kasey raised her eyebrow, "A dying wish?"

Selena shrugged, "I want you to give camp life a try. I know some people might not trust you, especially since you're gonna be the last person to see me, but I think you need it. You don't have to spend your life alone, Kasey."

The daughter of Hermes sniffled as tears filled her eyes, "Okay."

"And don't let Annabeth know that he killed me. Say a giant did it or something. Just... anyone but Luke. It'll break her."

"You didn't tell them?" Kasey asked,

"How could I?" Selena responded, "You think they'd let me fight in this battle if they knew I was going to die? Gods, no. They'd knock me out and tie me to a tree."

"How could you leave them like this, though?" Kasey questioned, "With no answers."

Selena shook her head, "I did leave them answers." She turned to stare out of the lights within the city, "I left them letters. They'll find them. When the time is right."

"You're not who I thought you were, Selena Madison." Selena turned to the daughter of Hermes, "You're not just some forgotten child. Someone the gods didn't recognize. You're the one who sacrificed everything so your friends could be happy. So they could live." Kasey hugged her, "You're a hero."

Horns sounded in the distance and the two walked over to the edge to see the battle, "Centaurs." Selena smiled as she heard them yell,

"I couldn't imagine being in this situation three years ago." Kasey said as the battle continued below them,

"This prophecy has been around for decades. This was always meant to happen." The two looked at each other, "It was nice knowing you, Kassandra York."

"You, too, Selena Madison."

Selena smiled at her but it quickly faded as they heard footsteps. They pulled away, "Lord Kronos." Kasey whispered as Luke stepped onto the rooftop. But instead of his sky blue eyes, they were gold.

"You think by calling me that I'll spare you? You're a fool for betraying me, daughter of Hermes. But you're not the one I came here to see." He turned to Selena, "Selena Madison. Are you ready to die?"