XXVI

THE NEXT MORNING, Annabeth and Percy stood at the top of Half-Blood Hill

THE NEXT MORNING, Annabeth and Percy stood at the top of Half-Blood Hill. They watched the buses and vans pull away, taking most of the campers back to the real world. A few old-timers would be staying behind, and a few of the newcomers, but Percy was heading back to Goode High School for his sophomore year—the first time in his life he'd ever done two years at the same school.

"Good-bye," Rachel said to them as she shouldered her bag. She looked pretty nervous, but she was keeping a promise to her father and attending Clarion Academy in New Hampshire. It would be next summer before they got their Oracle back.

"You'll do great." Annabeth hugged her. Funny, she seemed to get along fine with Rachel these days.

Rachel bit her lip. "I hope you're right. I'm a little worried. What if somebody asks what's on the next math test and I start spouting a prophecy in the middle of geometry class? The Pythagorean theorem shall be problem two. . . . Gods, that would be embarrassing."

Annabeth laughed, and to Percy's relief, it made Rachel smile.

"It'll be okay, you guys." Rachel smiled at them, "I have a good feeling about next summer." She told them before walking down the hill,

The guard dragon Peleus curled contentedly around the pine tree underneath the Golden Fleece and began to snore, blowing steam with every breath.

Next to it was a large Willow tree they planted after the war. It was a memorial for not only Selena, but Luke, too.

"You've been thinking about Rachel's prophecy?" Percy asked Annabeth as they sat near the trunk,

She frowned. "How did you know?"

"Because I know you."

She bumped him with her shoulder. "Okay, so I have. Nine half-bloods shall answer the call. I wonder who they'll be. We're going to have so many new faces next summer."

"Yep," Percy agreed. "And all that stuff about the world falling in storm or fire."

She pursed her lips. "And foes at the Doors of Death. I don't know, Percy, but I don't like it. I thought . . . well, maybe we'd get some peace for a change."

"Wouldn't be Camp Half-Blood if it was peaceful," Percy said.

"I guess you're right . . . Or maybe the prophecy won't happen for years."

"Could be a problem for another generation of demigods," Percy agreed. "Then we can kick back and enjoy."

She nodded, though she still seemed uneasy. Percy didn't blame her.

They were silent for a moment before Annabeth sighed, tears filling her eyes, "I don't know if you're the one to say this to... but... I don't know if I can do this without her, Percy."

Percy nodded, putting his hands in his jean pockets, "I don't know if I can either."

Annabeth sniffed, "She's everywhere. When I'm here... she's all I can think about." The blonde looked over at the son of Poseidon, "I loved her, Percy."

"So did I."

She turned towards him, "No, Percy, I loved her."

Percy paused and looked over at her before staring back over the hill, "Oh." He thought about it for a moment, "Ohhhhhhh."

Annabeth laughed, "Yeah, oh." She sighed, "I didn't quite fully realise it until Luke asked me if I loved him. I was thinking about Selena the whole time. Wondering where she ran off to, if she was okay." Annabeth let out a shaky breath, "and when Kasey walked into Olympus with Selena's necklace. I never felt more pain in my life. Not even when Kronos stabbed me. And I never told her." Annabeth wiped her tears away,

Percy looked over at her, "I think she knew. Maybe not in the way you feel but... she loved you too."

Annabeth smiled, "It's okay... I know I don't have a chance against you, seaweed brain."

"I am pretty charming."

"More like pretty idiotic." Annabeth smirked

"Hey!" The two laughed. "This place will never be the same, will it?" Percy asked,

"No," Annabeth sighed, "I don't think it will."

"Race you to the road?" Percy asked,

"You are so going to lose." She took off down Half-Blood Hill and he sprinted after her.

For once, Percy didn't look back.