into the silver dawn

The sun was warm on her skin as Sakura breathed in the fresh air from atop of the balcony that extended from her bedroom. It was early in the morning, the very day that she was to leave on her A-ranked mission for Otogakure. The night before she had prepared her traveling bag and said her goodbyes to her parents who were leaving yet again for another business trip.

  The pinkette pulled on a forest green tank-top, black pants that were bandaged around the ankles, and a navy blue traveling cloak. She then pulled up the top half of her hair into a bun, tied her cloth around her eyes, and put her hitai-ate on top of her head like a headband. She also pulled on her trusty leather gauntlets. After slipping on her ELEPHANT and swinging her bag behind her back, she was finally ready to go.

  Not too long after, she made it to the gate, where she sensed a few familiar chakra signatures. They must be about to head out on a mission as well.

  "Hey, Naruto," she greeted in a casual voice as she pulled up along side the hyperactive blind without being noticed by him or even his other team members.

  There was a loud screech, followed by Sakura ducking to avoid getting hit by a fist that she heard cutting through the air towards her direction. (A large part of her was annoyed that he would have actually hit someone if she had been another person, but a small amount of pride bubbled up in her chest nonetheless. She was able to sense more things now.)

  "Ahh! I'm so sorry, Sakura-chan!" Naruto shrieked out in alarm when he realized he had almost punched his dearly beloved crush. But instead of her getting mad like he thought she would, she merely tilted her head and smiled.

  "It's alright. Maybe it'll help you remember to always keep your guard up. I could have been a dangerous nin for all you know," the pinkette pointed out, making Naruto's face pale in realization.

  And then he nodded, a wide grin coming onto his face. "Wow, that's great advice! Thank you, Sakura-chan! And- Oh, is that you're hitai-ate!? So the old man is finally allowing you to become a kunoichi!?" he yelled, excitement clear in his voice.

  When Sakura nodded, he let out a whoop of joy and lunged at her, managing to wrap her up in a hug.

  "Does this mean you can return to our team?"

  Before the pinkette could respond, another voice intervened.

  "How'd you manage to trick Hokage-sama into letting you wear your hitai-ate?" Akira asked, her voice sounding the epitome of innocence, though the question was anything but. Sakura thought she could hear a barely noticeable note of fear, and she suddenly felt a little bad for her.

  Technically, Keiki would not have been able to become a kunoichi with Sakura on the team. Who knows how long she had been waiting, or what this meant to her. Maybe her reason for becoming a kunoichi was even nobler than her own.

  So a soft smile reached the pinkette's lips and she stepped in front of the other girl, placing a hand on her shoulder. Maybe she could try being nice to the girl who was her replacement? "Don't worry. I won't be coming back to the team." She paused, hearing a gasp that came from Naruto, before continuing, "And as for how I'm still able to become a kunoichi, you could say that I'm a special case of sorts for the Hokage."

  She opted out of saying that she was Konoha's Experiment, because to outsiders who didn't know what was going on, it probably sounded more than a little inhumane. But them, maybe it actually was that way, considering the risky mission she was about to go on.

  When Akira didn't respond, Sakura removed her hand and stepped a couple of steps to look in the direction of the other person that helped made up team seven.