four red roebuck

Morning came and went, and Sakura had vanished from the tree. She was on the run now, hoping that Makoto would keep his promise and keep Fumiko away from her. She finally had directions to the tower, courtesy of the composed male. It laughable at how easy it really was to actually get to the tower. Just follow the sun as it rose over the testing ground. When it was at its highest peak, the tower would be right under it.

  To think that if she was actually able to see, she would have figured this out sooner. She could have been at the tower by now. But, she supposed, she wouldn't have had both the scrolls she needed. Fortunately, the scroll Makoto gave her was different from the one she had, which meant she had both the Earth and Heaven scrolls.

Not that she knew what she needed to do with them when she got to the tower. Just hand them in? But the sudden sound of harsh growling had Sakura stumbling in surprise. The sound was entirely unexpected and got much too close to her in a small amount of time to be comfortable.

It sounded like an animal, and a big one at that.

  Hot air streaked across her heels, followed by a snapping sound. Sakura tensed and pushed herself faster, recovering quickly despite her damaged leg.

  "What the hell?" she wheezed, finally deciding to clamber up a nearby tree. She pulled herself onto a high branch and hugged the trunk with her body, letting her forehead rest on the bark. Perspiration dripped down her face and arms.

  She heard the growl again, this time below her. Sakura spread out her senses only to gasp. Whatever it was, had a large chakra presence. It had to be one of the unnatural creatures that spawned in this training ground after the creation of it, something to do with an excess of chakra that infected the inhabitants. She's heard rumors that the First Hokage has created this training ground with his wood release jutsu.

  The growl turned into a roar, and a heavy burst of wind pushed Sakura out of the tree. She flailed wildly, not wanting to break anything else. Remembering what her neighbors cat used to do when it jumped out of the window, she arched her back, letting her feet tuck underneath her body and bringing her hands to her face. She slowed only slightly, and used chakra to soften the blow.

  Only for the ground to explode.

  She was knocked onto her back and groaned, spitting up dirt in the process. Just as she was about to push herself to her feet, somethings heavy pressed down on her chest, putting tight pressure on her lungs. She choked, hands going wild against the warm, furry thing that was on her and the ground.

Was a few moments of peace too hard to ask for?

The lack of oxygen made her eyes roll back into her head. She was reminded of her time before Oto, when those ninja tried to kill her and Gekkou. Only now, there was no way she could rip the things heart out.

Pity.

The paw, she finally realized what was holding her down, flexed and then she was crying out in pain, screaming. It's claws unsheathed and impaled her chest and collarbone. Blood spurted out of her mouth, what little oxygen she had keeping her from immediately blacking out.

There was a low, hot breath on her face, searing against her skin. Something warm dribbled onto her cheek. Warm, sinewy muscle flexed.

Her breathing slowed. The pain turned hot with shock and then quickly faded.

Numb.

      The scissors hovered above her heart.