Chapter 3

Bani was hiding behind the bush, she got a very clear view of Jacques new guest, yes the girl is a true beauty, a peach and cream complexion, blue eyes, golden hair tied in new style, wearing a pink gown with a matching riding hood....as the guest went in followed by their servants and maids, Bani got out and scrambled towards her home, hoping no one has seen her, the old lady is not too fond of her for obvious reasons....

On being caught in the library two years ago, Bani stood still not knowing what to do for few seconds, it was the first time she got to see him from such close quarters....as soon as her realization came, she turned to run out of the library when he called out, commanding her to stop...

I am sorry I did not know you were here, Bani had stammered her apology, as he came and stood upto her...

No problem, I am usually here in the afternoons if I am not out in the fields but you are most welcome to use the library incase you know how to read and write...

Yes she does know, the local language and the Sanskrit scriptures, her baba had taught her....

Jacques took her to the other side of the library....see if you want any book from here....Yes there were some Sanskrit classics whom her baba had told about but she did not get to read them as they did not have money to buy such classics, Bani looked excited, with shaky hands she withdrew a copy of , the story of King Dushyant and Kumari Sakuntala, a story she had heard from her baba, Jacques smiled at her choice....Okay you can borrow the book but then return it before you borrow another, this is part of a collection, collected over the years by the old man, that is my grandfather, it is like a treasure to me....

Bani soon discovered that her knowledge of her Sanskrit was not enough to read such a great work, she had great difficulty in understanding the same hence the next day when she went to return the book, she found him lying on a couch and reading, hearing her footsteps he looked up, what you are through so fast? He asked....

I cannot understand, I did not realize my Sanskrit was so poor...

Oh, I see...wait a moment....he got up again and took out a dictionary from Sanskrit to local dialect...explained to her how it works and said to give it a try again, see still if you do not understand something, I will help you out, my sanskrit is not very good but then I do have an English translation from which I will help you to understand....

Bani was thrilled, she could not believe that a man of his stature could be so kind....she went back to her quarters which she shared with one of the widowed maids of My Lady, who laughed at her enthusiasm....hmmm good but then don't take it too seriously, he is just helping a maiden in distress or so as to speak and don't go near him too much, My Lady does not like it....

But why?....

Areh tu ek aurat hai, aur woh ek mard....

Ha parantu gora hai...

But a man nevertheless, gora hai toh kya huwa....and you are no gori, so stay away....

My Lady as Danielle preferred to be addressed, enjoyed her position very much, most of her servants were natives as they were easier to get, she treated them well though demanded best of service, gave them good food, uniforms and took care of their reasonable monetary problems, gave them off during their festivals in return she demanded full honesty and dedication alongwith her discipline in running the house, any lapse, the servant would be thrown out and forbidden to enter Danielle's territory for life....hence most of the servants and maids, ensured they do not cross her so that they could work for a lifetime....

One such afternoon, Bani was sitting next to the small lake they had not very far from the Kothi, her roommate, Sundari was catching up on her siesta has the day, summer was setting in and today she would have to spend the night in My Lady's room pulling the pankha in the night....hence Bani was not able to read as to keep the heat out, Sundari had closed all windows and darkened the room....