Chapter 9

Sarah was staring at the lawn, Bani had left for her home, she has a small baby, whom she still nursed so she hated to be late, my lady was speaking to her grandson. Sarah thought of retiring for siesta but the weather was nice, much cooler and the sun soft, Sarah watched My Lady coming out of the library and walking up the stairs to her room....what happened in Lucknow which Mr Wallace wanted to share with her, My Lady took great interest in running of the estate, she was aware about most things going around, knew many of the village chiefs by their name, their family composition ....Sarah felt that My Lady was getting her ready for her future here, no wonder Bani has been employed to improve her Hindustani, when people came to pay her respect, My Lady introduced her to them saying a very special guest of mine...but what about Mr Wallace, how does Jacques see things.....he was polite and well mannered, made appropriate responses to her queries but then he often went silent, thinking about something, looking a bit lost before recollecting himself....what does he think....in fact in Calcutta when it was decided she would accompany My Lady as honoured guest of Dariayaganj this season, she did hear that though My Lady is desperate to marry her grandson to an elite white lady as he is too fond of native women.....is he so? Is it someone from the estate? Does the rumour have any truth to it or is it just a figment of someone's jealousy for not being invited to this lovely place...

++++++

As the day of the ball approached, things started getting more exciting, room were being prepared for the guests who will be coming over from Lucknow, Sarah was particularly in-charge of decorating each room as per the latest trend....curtains were being taken out, native darzis sat with their sewing machine in the kothi itself making new curtains matching with bedcovers and pillow cases...My Lady had rooms named after flowers, the rose room, lavender room, jasmine room etc., the first arrival will get to choose and the last would have to do with whatever left .....Sarah was using her broken Hindustani and hands to convey to the darzis the colour combination she wanted, the servants how to move about the furniture, sometimes Bani helped, sometimes she too failed when Sarah had to sought the help of My Lady or Jacques to translate...

Today morning they were having their breakfast in the front lawn, the sun was sweet and the dining room now being given a thorough overhauling....they were expecting their first guest by afternoon, Sarah was excited, the work she was entrusted is being expected to finish before the first arrival, they were waiting for Jacques to come and join before being served when Sarah noticed, Bani coming to work, she was walking through the grass land with a basket in hand....Sarah waved and gestured her to come, Bani hesitated a bit but came nevertheless...

Where are you coming from Bani, she asked ....

Ghar se......Bani replied

Udhar tumhari ghar hai, don't you stay in the village....Sarah asked as she knew the village was on the other side.....

Bani looked at My Lady, she was looking the other way but her lips pressed firm....

Oh Bani you have picked wild flowers, what will you do with them, Sarah's looked at Bani's basket.....

Ahhhhhmmmm Bani was thinking what to reply when she noticed Jacques coming out with Toddy behind him, carrying a tray with parcels....

My Lady, Jacques bowed before his grandmother, turning to pick up a packet from the tray, Toddy was holding, it was tied beautifully with coloured paper and ribbons.....he followed the similar ritual with Sarah, who gave a shriek of joy, my lady too rose and kissed her grandson, Sarah shook his hand, he explained this was material for their Christmas dress, they should start working on it now, you know the 'dak' (post) took 2 days to arrive, I am sure My Lady has enough laces and buttons which you can match with the material Miss Howard, otherwise if you need anything, please feel free to inform, it will be gotten Miss Howard....Sarah leaned and kissed Jacques on the cheek, startling both Jacques and My Lady equally for a moment, while My Lady beamed, Sarah blushed at her own action and Jacques darted a glance at Bani who was admiring the silk materials now lying open for inspection. Breakfast was brought out, Bani left to go inside waiting to be summoned once they were through....