Chapter 34

Sarah sat on her bed, she stared at Tara who was sleeping, Bani was not yet back, she too hated to eat without Bani but having stayed in Dariyaganj with My Lady for some months she knew routines are meant to be adhered to, My Lady ran her household like a clock, if we do not eat or maintain our routine, remember my girl, the servant who is serving you does not become free and cannot take rest which he or she is entitled for, at least this much we can do for them....but then My Lady today not waiting for Bani really had some other message....she wants to get back to their normal life and normal life means......Sarah watched Tara...from this angle she was looking more like her father's daughter than her mother's. In this country you are constantly living on edge, inspite of that we are trying to make our lives as comfortable as possible. Dariyaganj, 'jaan se aziz' Jacques had said....yes I have visited the country where my forefathers came from....very beautiful very alien ....here the soil, the grass, the air and the sky knows me and to share my life in this land, may I ask the pleasure of having the company of your daughter, I request you formally for her hand in marriage....Jacques had written to her father from Dariyaganj at the time of their engagement...little while ago she had given the letter to her father to post it...Sarah looked at the ceiling, is he there to receive it, her mother, her siblings, no no the house must be there, there must have been a letter too for her but with this uprising, things must have got lost in between....

+++++++++

Maggie had come with her children for tea. It was nice to catch up with her, the children made the house feel full, just then Bani returned, looking exhausted and relieved as Maggie greated Bani, Sarah noticed Jacques who was standing in the gallery was watching her with hooded eyes, watching the stare Jacques was giving Bani, a shiver ran down Sarah's spine.....

Hey Sarah did you hear what Bani has done, she has got a room for herself, she is going to start a business soon, Maggie announced excitedly.....

Through the corner of her eyes Sarah saw a figure retreating into his study....

++++++++

As Sarah went to see off Maggie to her carriage, Maggie asked why are you looking a bit off colour my dear?....

Well Maggie, how to put it, slowly but surely we are getting back to our routine life.....Sarah replied

And thank God for that, everything is over and life is peaceful once again and my dear do not be sad, in this country you will come across many adventures but then we must also carry on with our lives, marriages, the births and the deaths, look at Bani, look the way she is moving on....and good that you are here, one of these days I am going to ask My Lady as you are going to stay here till everything normalizes why shouldn't you get married in the meantime, in this dull season lets have some fun and giety.....

Sarah smiled and waved at Maggie as she departed....

+++++++

The Arrival of Queen Elizabeth I, was a big event, men, women dressed in their fineries went to welcome her. After all she is carrying people from home. Sarah dressed in her fine down went to the dock accompanied by Toddy and Jacques, while Jacques already looked bored, he was not interested but had to come for some entertainment or rather give company to Sarah, Toddy looked much more eager and excited than his master....As they reached the dock, they got to see Maggie and Charles and some other families as Maggie took Sarah to introduce her with the other ladies, now that you are rested enough, and since we are stuck in this hot weather in this city, we should have some parties organized, lets see who have come in this boat, we can have some new friends and new fun....there she comes, the lady pointed out as Queen Elizabeth entered the harbour, all the people assembled stood at the best position to get the best possible view, except for Jacques, Sarah noticed he was already yawning and looking at his finger nails leaning against the carriage....

++++++++

Bani was pouring the oil in the jar when Sarah walked into the kitchen, I smell something nice....she exclaimed.....

Yes, thank god I have not forgotten how to make them....good that Toddy accompanied me yesterday, got to see the flower market even, here now I have to buy the flowers, Bani looked up and froze, at the kitchen door Jacques was standing, on being eye to eye, he turned and left....Sarah gave an uneasy smile.....

Bani swallowed hard, life will be different here but then Calcutta I hear is a bigger city than Lucknow so options are more, I am confident I can make it......

Bani, I don't know if I have the right to say but I think you should give Jacques a chance, I mean for ....I mean ...keeping in mind the relationship you had ...I want to say that I am sure he can afford to settle you and Tara....Sarah blurted....

Lets go out of the kitchen memsahib, the servants will now come to prepare dinner....they stepped into the hallway, you are right, Laat Sahab can very well afford to look after me and Tara but the question is both of us had agreed to move on in life and we can only do that when no ties are there......I am sure you will agree to it, if I get settled I can make my own living, I do not have to bother the Laatsahab for money etc......

Bani big thoughts are very good but let me tell you this is not Dariyaganj, here people hardly know me and once you go to that market place to sell your wares, let me tell you people will be more interested in different wares and despite your best intentions you will turn into something else......Jacques came out from behind pillar and stand in front of them....

Bani's face had turned red, her lips quivered before she bit them.....3 saal pahele when I made the tower my home, Laat Sahab I think I already chose a path and compromised my womanhood......

Sarah felt for a second that Jacques would burst instead he controlled and his face was filled with pain he walked away, out in the garden and out of the gates.....

+++++++

Maggie opened wrapped packet on reaching home. Inside there was a table cloth, hand embroidered beautifully, parting gift from Sarah, as Maggie opened the table cloth something dropped on the floor, it was an envelope with her name written on it...

Maggie quickly took out the sheet of paper.....