Chapter 14

Jacques watched the bon-fire, he sat in his blanket sipping the hot broth the cook served alongwith duck roast, the broth was heavy filled with all possible herbs and vegetable they got while on tour and Jacques loved this kind of food, no long courses, short but sumptuous meals....he alongwith his people sat around the fire slurping down the food, fun too, here everybody ate together and no fuss no formality....

Laat Sahab...Banarasi Das called out....

Yes Banarasi.....

Jacques looked up...

Sir I often wondered that how you have no issues in sitting down with us and having food with us, now even dressed like us.....

Jacques looked down, yes in the evening after they came back to their tents, after his wash he wore Indian dress, kurta and salwar with a thick blanket or shawl around himself, very comfortable especially on tours compared to his tight western clothing....

Well Banarasi I am born and brought up in these lands

But you are a 'gora' sahab and had your education outside too....Banarasi added

Jacques looked up to see Banarasi sitting opposite of him, other side of the fire....he was busy drinking from his bowl the last remains....

Jacques waited for him to finish and then looking into his eyes, he replied, you are right Banarasi to certain extend but like my father, I am born in this country, on this land to be precise and would like to be buried here too....even when I was in France or when I went on tour to England, the smell of this land was so strong that I got it there even, it has pulled me back.....

Don't you miss your homeland sir, persisted Banarasi

Well this is my homeland, I am very much here and home is here where heart is, my heart is also here....

Aur England?

England is a country from where my forefather's came from ....

Todd made some noises in his throat to indicate he did not agree with him totally, but then Todd was very nationalistic own way....

++++

As they took turns to keep night watch as they were travelling with money collected from taxes, though Jacques had arranged for the Bank he dealt with to have it collected from him from time to time as per his travel schedule, in turn giving him a receipt, but the dacoits were always on lookout, if not money then for arms and if they do not get anything they will kill the victims out of frustration....which of course Jacques did not want, he too had his share of attacks in the past and upto now things were safe this year...if it goes like this next few days he will be more than happy....

After dinner Jacques took his position in the high rock, with years he learnt how to protect his people from the eyes of passers-by & looters, he learnt how to choose a site for camping, how to protect his horses from wild animals etc., but then stray incidents happen and you cannot take chances...The high rock gave him a good view of the jungle below as well as protect the fire from being visible...he sat looking at the pitch dark valley while Todd who joined him grumbling sat next to him looking at the sleeping camp....

Gov'nor I did not like your reply to Banarasi Das, he grumbled, you and I are different and not one of them, Banarasi should not assume that you and me are as same as them....

What is wrong in that Todd, Jacques whispered at him....

We might spend our life here but we belong to England, we are only answerable to our Empress there...we are no petty zamindars, we are not even answerable to the Company but to the British Empire...