Chapter 5

Bani's arms were paining, she felt they will drop from her shoulders any moment....My Lady had this peculiar habit, while most people employed men for 'Pankha' duty, she wanted one of her maid to do it, as she often rose in the night, wanted one thing or another, the same person would help her, moreover she did not like the thought of a man hovering outside her room pulling the pankha through a hole in the wall, instead the maid might as well sit in the room and do her duty in comfort....comfort? what comfort....the lady was such a light sleeper, waking every ½ an hour wanting something or the other, with sleepy eyes she somehow climbed down the stairs her eyes drooping, her body fatigued, I will feel better once I get used to it, she thought to herself when she realized a pair of hands pulling her, startling she noticed it was Jacques, already up and in his riding jodhpurs, as she scrambled behind him, her mind started to wonder what he was upto, surely he did not want to start where he left from this early in he morning when her body was too worn out....the stallion was waiting, he got up pulling her to sit in front of him and rode towards the Watch Tower, on reaching it, he pulled her in quick steps he went down couple of stairs and then opened a door, a candle was already burning illuminating the room and Bani could see that the room was quite well kept, enough candles, bed rolls and utensils too....See this was built by old Adam when he shifted here, while things was getting built, he kept a watch from the tower upstairs while My Lady stayed in this room with my father, now you will stay here, hide for 2 days till she leaves, I will go with her but come back within 15 days, trust me, I will like to know more of you and if you also want the same, hide here, you will get your food and other things, but don't venture out, don't let My lady's servants catch you before they leave.....he said urgently....

Lekin Laat Sahab, mai kitna din idhar rahungi? Who will come with food and my clothes....

Oh someone I trust, I will come once more before I leave but remember do not venture out incase....he left the rest unsaid...

Incase? Bani asked....

Incase you do not want to know me that is, the choice is yours of course and be rest assured I will not force you into it, you are free to go to the hills if My Lady will have you in her entourage....

Bani smiled, she pushed him out and closed the door behind him.....

+++++

Reading the great novel of Dushyant and Sakuntala's love and discussing it with Jacques had its effect on her, she made herself comfortable in the room and sat dreaming about the same, comparing the two, but is he in love with me, he is Bade Laat, owner of his place, how can he love me.....but the Dushyant was also a king...Bani tried to remember her Baba's teachings, men can be good son, father, brother but they often betray their love, they often wander away for fulfill their lust......

That means all men are adulterers ....

Baba had swallowed hard, no not necessarily but yes in general they are more than women, women too are but less....

So what should be done?

Nothing much but the women should try and keep him interested, he then informed her how to become a good wife ......but this wondered Bani is an impossible relation, she should not encourage it any further, infact now should go out and make arrangement for her departure, he is no Dushyant and she no Shakuntala, Bani got up just then the door opened, Toddy Bob entered carrying a basket, put it down, and left without a word to her....Bani uncovered it, it had ration for her and a change, even a short note from Jacques, promising once again to see her atleast once before he leaves....

That was nearly two years ago....

Bani now stood at the watch tower, Jacques has renovated the upper floor room for her, she stood watching the activity around the Kothi, the en number of servants and maids running about, carriages being taken away, some people waiting to pay their respects to My Lady.....she is the same woman who lived in this Tower with her husband, with little help she managed to survive and build a wonderful life for herself, wouldn't Bani be able to do the same.....

Bani...abh apna taraf dekh, kis chinta me lagi hai, every year this is happening and you are still worried about it, why?

You know why, don't you....Bani turned to Sundari, who was now her maid, her fault being she had no clue where Bani was two years ago before they left the hills, being her roommate, the anger was diverted to her.....

Yes I know but Bani I had warned you before, he is a gora and you are nothing but a native, you and he can never have a life you are dreaming about....

But....

Yes I did say some of them got married, I came across when I went on trip with my lady but then they were not high class men, and high class men, well they did have liaisons but.....Sundari left the rest unsaid, Bani was still watching out at the Kothi.....

Heh Bani, be cheerful, men do not like grumpy women and he loves you, maybe in his own way, he still comes to you inspite of having many other option, inspite two years have past and inspite....just then they heard a whimper, Bani looked behind, in the cradle the baby was awake, she was shaking her arms and legs, must be hungry, Bani quickly crossed the room to pick her up, opening her choli she sat down to nurse it, about 3 months old, she knew the old woman must be aware of her arrival into this world, no wonder this time she got a girl, a prospective bride for her grandson who looked like an angel, all these years she has been seeing their guests come and go and yet to see anyone so beautiful....

She shared her apprehensions with Sundari, who looked up from the needlework she was doing....

Maybe Bani but remember, you are no longer one now but the little one is also there....

But it is a 'she' agar 'ladka' hota maybe.....

Sundari pretended to be busy and concealed her sigh, Bani's fear was not unwarranted...

++++

Sarah Howard was a girl with beauty and brains. She had heard much about the Zamindar of Dariyaganj, a queer sort of man. Handsome, rich but very moody. Despite of best efforts made by his grandmother, he is refusing to settle down in holy matrimony. There are reports that he is linked to a native girl but then My Lady waved it off as a rumour, even if she refuses to admit there is nothing wrong in it as at the age of 32, no man is expected to remain a saint and whatever they might think of the natives, it is well known that at the end of the day a man wants a release his lust, he has very little option incase he was living in remote areas. However beautiful Dariyaganj maybe, here finding 'Ladies' was next to impossible. She turned to her host who was accompanying her as she went around seeing the house....

You have a very beautiful house Mr Wallace, she remarked brightly...

Yes I do, he admitted without any pretence but then it is largely due to my grandmother, she is a wonder woman...

Yes she is, at this age also you become awe of her, of her achievements and her jest of life, I wonder if I can live my life half like her's...if I do it will be an achievement....

Jacques raised his brow but agreed with the girl, despite of her aristocratic looks, her words were simple, she did not have any airs of being superior and frequently exclaimed at the beauty and treasures of the Kothi, the gardens etc.,

I think Miss Howard you should rest a bit, now that you are here, you can discover My Lady's handiwork at your leisure, allow me to handover to you to our housekeeper who will take you to your rooms....as she climbed up the stairs to follow the housekeeper, Jacques bowed and waited for her to retire.

After she vanished into her room, Jacques went into his, throwing his jacket on the bed, he washed his face with the cold water when Toddy Bob entered, smiling from ear to ear, holding the towel for him to take....

So Gov'nor hot already, he winked.....

Jacques tried to ignore his remark, of course he knew at what Todd was implying...he did not like wearing jackets much but with My Lady around, he cannot welcome anybody half dressed, Todd knew that and he chose to deduce his own conclusions purposely ....he stood at the window, to let the breeze cool his body before he went down for lunch in his finery, watching the old watch tower as his habit...she now must be bathing the baby or making her various oils, aur kuch nehi toh, keeping a watch on the Kothi to see the activities around....

Gov'nor the Lady Sarah looks fine to me and I just wanted to tell you that now you should settle down, My Lady is not getting younger and it is time we get a good mistress for the house and some nippers to play with.....

Hmmmm, he grunted watching the Tower....

++++++