chapter 3

Suddenly everything felt different. Being in my dorm room felt different. Listening to Anastasia's usual chatter over the phone just felt different. Like this wasn't my life. It was someone else's that I had just rented. I felt as if my time in Claudia Richardson's life was over; the nursing major I was two years away from finishing, the family that was waiting for me across the country.

I stared at the name that was written on the envelope of the mail I had brought in earlier that day. Some type of news announcement about a change in curfew due to some kidnappings or something that was happening off-campus. All I could focus on was the name written in big letter across the envelope.

Claudia Richardson

"Yeah, Ana? I'll call you back, okay?"

"Oh, okay. Wait! I thought there was news you had to tell me? Is it important?"

"Um, no. I can tell you about it later. Maybe we can get some ice cream or something?" I quickly responded since I wasn't really invested in this phone call enough to stay on any longer, and I also didn't want to tell my best friend the life-changing news over the phone.

"Yeah, sounds good. Ok, love you. Bye, girlie." I hung up the phone, my eyes not leaving the envelope for a second. I picked up a pen that lay next to my laptop and found myself editing the letter.

Claudia Winchester

Was that who I really was? A Winchester? Technically, a half Winchester. Would they take me in? Did I want them to? I had a family, I had a mother and father who loved me. Well, I had a mother and father who lied to me for 20 years. But was that enough for me to strike them out of my life? And what about my brother, and my 2 sisters? Did they know?

What about my real mother, who was she? Why did she give me up? Where was she?

I needed answers, and I wasn't going to get them by doodling on my envelope. I called the one person who seemed to know more about me than I did.

"Hello?" Sam sounded surprised on the other end of the line, "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. It's fine. I just-- You told me you found my birth certificate. Where can I find it? I need some answers... And I think you and Dean have them." I was becoming more and more comfortable with these boys every time we talked. Were we really family? Bound by blood?

"Well, Dean and I found the birth certificate in North Carolina. If you want we can take you there? We need to finish something up here first, but after that, we can take a road trip. Sibling bonding, or whatever." I could hear Sam's smile on the other end of the line. It was contagious.

"Yeah, maybe I'll take you up on that. I have some business to take care of first, so a few days sounds perfect," I paused as I took in all that Sam had said, "I kind of assumed you and Dean came here to talk to me... Which I'm realizing now sounds so conceded..." He laughed as I trailed off.

"Well, you are. For the most part, at least. But Dean and I also have some business off campus that we're handling." He rushes through the last part as if he doesn't want it to be acknowledged. That, of course, only makes me want to know more.

"What business?"

"Oh, it's really not a big deal. Look, we actually were in the middle of something, but I'll be in touch to let you know when we'll be taking off. Talk to you soon." I furrow my eyebrows as he finishes his cryptic response.