chapter 10

When I woke up, Sam was at the table, looking at his laptop. The shower was running in the bathroom, Dean must be in there. For a moment, for just a split second, I got to pretend that the past 48 hours hadn't happened. That Sam, Dean, and I were in some random town with a string of kidnappings that Sammy thought might be a case. And then the pain in my chest comes back. The hollow feeling. The emptiness.

Sam looked up at me as I sat up in bed, running my fingers through my hair.

"Hey, Clo. Dean's going to go out and grab breakfast as soon as he's out of the shower." I gave him a smile that didn't reach my eyes. Although I may not have shown it, I was grateful that he didn't ask how I was doing. I didn't want to have to lie to him. I looked around the room, unsure of what to do next. Unsure of where to go with my life.

"I think I may have a lead on finding your birth mother," My head snaps up to meet Sam's gaze as he looks at me, "I may not be able to find a copy of your birth certificate, but if we can find your birth mother then maybe she can give you the information herself, right?"

"What's your lead?" It was the first time I had spoken since my breakdown last night, and my voice was hoarse. I got up to get a glass of water, still looking at Sam, waiting for him to continue.

"My Dad, he writes in his journal about a woman he was seeing in North Carolina... the date of the entries is from about 20 years ago," Sam looks at me expectantly and I nodded, urging him to go on, "Her name is Kate, and that's all I know so far." He looks down at the table where he has his laptop, his Dad's journal, and a notepad where he was jotting down some notes.

"No last name, no address, not even a city? That's it?"

Sam just gives me a tight smile and shakes his head, "I'm sorry, Claud. I'll keep digging." I nod and go back to the bed, sitting down as Dean comes out of the bathroom dressed and ready to go.

"Thanks, Sam," I add, him looking up and nodding before looking back down to his laptop.

"Hey, kid. I'm gonna go pick up some grub... Wanna get out of the hotel room?" I look at him, mentally debating whether I should go or not before slowly nodding my head, following him out in my pajamas, not bothering to change my clothes. My hair probably looked like a rat's nest, but I didn't care.

As we were walking down the hall of the hotel, I saw Agent Hucks walking towards us.

"Ms. Richardson, I was just coming to see you," he looks briefly at Dean before continuing, "I didn't want to bother you yesterday, but I'm going to have to ask you a few questions about the case." Dean looks suspiciously at the Agent on my family's case.

"Of course," I say with a small fake smile, I then point to Dean as I introduce the two, "Agent Hucks, this is Dean, my biological brother. Dean, this is Agent Hucks, he's working my family's case." The Agent's eyes widen as I say that Dean's my brother. He looks at me confused, waiting for an explanation.

"I was adopted. Just found out." I don't feel like getting into any more details, and luckily I don't have to since Dean breaks his silence with the Agent.

"You mind showing me some ID, Agent?" Dean has his signature smirk on, and I look at him half confused and half embarrassed. Agent Hucks seems surprised but reaches into his long jacket nonetheless. After Dean inspects it and nods, handing it back to him, the Agent looks to me.