chapter 6

"Whoo! Listen to her purr! Have you ever heard anything so sweet?" Dean was fangirling over his car once again. Sam made eye contact with me through the rearview mirror and rolled his eyes.

"You know, if you two wanna get a room, just let me know, Dean," Sam said, and I couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped my lips.

"Oh, don't listen to him, baby. He doesn't understand us."

"You're in a good mood," I said, joining into the brother's conversation, enjoying the light-hearted mood.

"Why shouldn't I be?"

"No reason." I didn't want to ruin the mood, so I wasn't going to pry into his business anymore.

"Got my car, got a case, things are looking up."

"Got a new baby sister. What can beat that?" Now it's Dean turn to look at me through the rearview mirror and smile.

"Wow. Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mister Sunshine." Dean laughs at Sam's comment and then stretches in his seat.

"How far to Red Lodge?"

"Uh, about another three hundred miles."

"Good." Dean presses his foot to the floor and the Impala goes lurching forward. I yelp as I hit the back of the seat and fall to the floor. I could hear Dean laughing at me but I don't respond, I just put up a not-so-nice finger above the front seat. This only makes him laugh harder, and Sam joins in too.

***

"But why can't I say I'm a reporter, too? There's no danger in a sheriff's office."

"Because I'm the oldest and I said so." I huff and dramatically fall onto the bed with my head in the pillows.

"If we need any research done on the computer we'll call you," Sam says, sitting next to me on the bed and trying to make me feel better.

"What do I do until then?"

"I dunno. Watch TV?" I glare at him but search the nightstand for the TV remote anyways. Soon after they're heading out the door, saying their goodbyes and to be careful, blah blah blah. I just groan in response to them and continue watching my TV program.

***

As we were driving to the bar, I try to get answers out of Sam and Dean on what happened, where we're going, and what it is exactly that we're hunting.

"We're going to a bar," Dean says quickly from the front seat.

"Nice!"

"You're underage, you're not drinking."

"What? What am I supposed to do there?"

"Follow our lead. We're still working."

I trail behind them into the bar, sulking. Being a hunter was boring so far. Nothing was happening. Nothing for me at least. I just had to wait for Sam and Dean to come back. I watch as both brothers go up to the bartender and begin asking him questions.