chapter 5

"Hello? Claudia?" My Dad's voice on the other end of the phone was surprised, sad, panicked. I hated hearing him like this. Hated that it was me who did it.

"Hey, Dad." I sigh into the phone, knowing he won't like what I have to say.

"Where have you been? Your mother and I have been trying to call you--"

"I know, and I'm sorry. I just needed some time to process. Dad, I'm not staying in Washington."

"What? What about school?"

"I don't know, maybe I'll finish my degree some other time. But, there just seems to be more important things in life right now."

"Where are you going to go? Are you with those boys? You don't know them, Claudia. They're complete strangers!"

"They're family, Dad," I snap and then regret it when I hear him let out a shaky breath, "I'm coming to North Carolina, soon I think. I'm coming to look for my real birth certificate, to find my biological mother. Maybe... Maybe you could help."

"I'll have it for you when you get here. Claudia, you know I love you. You know we all love you. We just want what's best for you."

"I know, Dad. I love you, too. I have to go, talk to you soon." I hang up without waiting for a response. I'm still upset, he lied to me for 20 years of my life. But, I love him. With all my heart. He'll always be my Dad, whether he is my father or not.

***

I was packing in my stuff to the Impala when I got a call from Anastasia.

"Hello?"

"Why did I have to hear that you dropped out of your classes from Derek? Derek! The rando in our Anatomy class! Instead of my best friend!" She was screaming, hysterical. I actually had to move the phone away from my ear to stop them from bleeding. Sam and Dean gave me confused looks as they heard my friend's shrill screams come through the phone.

"Ana... Anastasia, calm down. I'm sorry you didn't hear it from me, but I told you I was going to North Carolina. It makes sense that I would have to drop out."

"So you're not coming back?" I could hear her sniffle from the other side of the phone. Nope, I was not going to cry. Not in front of Sam and Dean. I closed my mouth tight and thought out my response.

"We are not saying goodbye over the phone. Meet me at the ice cream in 20." She agreed and soon I was getting into my own car, saying I'd be back soon to Sam and Dean.

***

"So you're really not coming back?"

"Not for school, but I love it here! Seattle has my heart, of course, I'll come to visit." I try to cheer her up. Anastasia's already crying and I'm not far behind. She puts her hand over her mouth and chokes back a sob.

"To visit? What happened to your plan? To our plan? We were gonna get an apartment together. Capitol Hill, remember? Live the good life?"

"Ana, please. This is already so hard, don't make it any harder." I look down at my shoes, unable to look my best friend in the eye as I renege on the promise of our future.

"Why? For your brothers? You barely know them, Claudia. You're throwing out your future for two strangers! What about me, your best friend? You're throwing me out for them, too. It's not fair."

"Stop. I'm not throwing anyone out and I'm not choosing anyone over anyone. That's not fair and you know it. I need to do this, I need to figure out who I am, who my family is."

"I know. But I don't want you to go. I'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too, Ana. More than you know."

"Who am I supposed to talk to when you're gone? You're like my only friend," She laughs after that, finally clearing the air.

"Make friends with Derek!" I say, contributing to the light mood.

"Irrelevant Derek? Ugh, you really are the worst." We laugh for a little bit before standing up and pulling each other into a long embrace. We both were drowning our shirts in tears at this point.

"I love you, Claudia."

"I love you, too, Ana."

***

When I got back to the motel, the Impala was packed and ready to roll out. I knocked on the boys' door, calling in that it was me and I was ready to go. Sam opens the door and instead of him and Dean coming out to hit the road, he motions for me to come in.

"What's up, I thought we were hitting the road?" I look at him and Dean, as they give each other looks, "Somebody tell me what's going on please."

"There's a case, in Montana, on the way to North Carolina." Dean finally spits it out.

"That we aren't working because Claudia's coming with us and she's not a hunter." Sam spits back, and I could tell that they had been arguing about this. About me. They start going back and forth and just being in the same room as them when they were fighting made me get a migraine.

"Stop! We'll go to Montana. Where'd you say? Red Lodge? Never heard of it, but we're going. I don't have to do anything. I'll just help with research. If you guys can save people, then don't stop on my account," Dean points at me while looking at Sam after I said that, seemingly trying to make a point, "Seeing a hunt up close may help me make a decision, anyways."

"Claudia, we don't know what it is. It could be dangerous." Sam gives me a stern look.

"I thought all hunts were dangerous?" I look at him and give him a smile, which he doesn't return. Dean picks up and grabs his bag.

"Sorry Sammy, but you're outnumbered. Two to one. To Red Lodge, we go." As Dean leaves the room to pack up the car and get going he gives me a high five. I give Sam an apologetic look, but he just shakes his head and moves out of the motel room as well.

"God, don't make me regret this, Dean."

author's note

ok so Claudia's about to go on her first hunt with the boys there to protect her, of course.

the goodbye to Anastasia was so sad to write, but this isn't the last you're gonna hear of her, I promise.

you already know... feedback is more than appreciated.