The Mission

"I'll get it!" I shout as I practically sprint for the door.

I open it to see Connie. I hug her and say, "Happy second mission and happy day before birthday!"

"Thanks!" She says as she laughs and smiles that cute little smile she has. Is she blushing? It kind of looks like she's blushing. No, no, don't get your hopes up I tell myself.

"Let's go lovebirds," Amethyst says getting up, "To the mission!"

I blush and feel a bit awkward after hearing Amethyst call us love birds and I try not to make eye contact with Connie.

"Amethyst you know it's not like that, we just—," I begin to say as I follow Amethyst towards the war pad.

"Yeah yeah, whatever you say," she cuts me off, "but I sure as heck don't believe you. You can deny it all you want Steven it's not doing anything for ya."

"Can we just go on the mission?" I ask, Connie's silence is worrying me. Does the mere thought of us being together make her this uncomfortable?

"Yes yes," Amethyst says stepping into the warp pad, "Everyone on the warp pad."

As we teleport to an island via warp pad, Connie still isn't used to it so she trips when we get there and I catch her when she almost falls. Thinking that this will be one of the only times I hold her.

"Th-thanks, sorry I'm still not quite used to it," she says shyly.

"Oh, of course, yeah," I say sounding like an awkward doof. I'm taken aback by her glistening eyes that I just can't get over.

"Yeesh. So... today we're seeking out 2 corrupt gems that have been damaging life on this island," Amethyst says, "so it's pretty similar to your first mission Connie, sorry to bore you, let's split up to find them. Same rules contact me when you find one."

"Ok," I say.

"Sounds alright to me," Connie says.

"Cool, see ya later,Amethyst says as she jumps up and away to another part of the island.

Connie and I start walking keeping our eyes out for any signs of corrupt gems. We walk through a area a lot like a jungle. We reach a clearing on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

"Wow," I say, my breath is taken away.

"This is stunning," Connie says. She looks over to the right where a ledge of a rock is. "Oh! Look at this. It's a perfect natural shelter! It's roomy, it has two walls, a roof , it's below tree level, it has little to no chance of falling."

"Plus one amazing view of the ocean."

"Yeah no kidding. If for whatever reason we need to spend the night we can camp out here."

"Good find."

"Thanks," She smiles.

We spend the rest of the day looking for the corrupt gems, but since there is no snow to easily see their tracks it is a harder mission. I notice the sun setting.

"It's getting dark, we should call it a day," I suggest.

"Okay," Connie says with disappointment, "I feel bad for not finding anything."

"It's a big island, no worries," I smile at her.

She smiles back, "I'll radio Amethyst and tell her we're done for today."

Before I know it we're getting ready for bed in the shelter watching the setting sun over the ocean. I'm well fed because we prepared a little dinner for ourselves. It's so peaceful that I fall asleep in no time.

{Note}
If you're waiting for the romance to kick in,  do not worry, next chapter is full of it. Sorry it was a bit of a wait for that.