The Arrival

Steven's POV

After a few days of car travel with nothing but music and stray cats I found by gas stations as my companions, I finally get to Connie's town. I am incredibly nervous and incredibly excited. It's been so long, I'm all twisted up about my feelings towards Connie. What does this mean for us? Is she going to stay with me for a while after leaving her home? Will we finally get together for real? That's probably incredibly wishful thinking. But it feels like anything could happen.

Do I still like her? It's been forever, if anything I like the idea of her. The "old" her. She's probably changed in a bunch of ways. But I'm open to change. It was completely spontaneous and un-Connie-like for her to suggest me driving to her town. Whatever this new Connie is like, I'll just be glad to see her.

After a few minutes of driving into town I make it to the address she gave me. I pull up to a quaint, brown house with two stories. I text her "I'm outside". A few seconds later she texts "Yay! Go through the gate on the side of the house, I'm in the back." I text back, "Ok."

I park and get out of the van and make my way to the back of her house. When I open the gate to her backyard walks out of a pool and runs up to greet me.

"Steven! It's good to see you! Sorry, I'm wet, I probably can't hug you." She says with a goofy smile on her face.

"Uh," I find myself staring. She's so different and she's really grown into her curves. I need to snap out of it! "Connie! Hi! It's been a long time." I rub the back of my neck feeling like a dope.

"Too long," she smiles. She observes my face, "Do you have stubble on your face?"

"Oh, hehe, yeah. I shaved before I left, but I guess it grows really fast," I awkwardly smile. I feel awkward, but I shouldn't. We've just both kind of grown up.

"That's funny. Would you like to swim? My parents aren't home and I can lend you a swimsuit," she says, "You probably wonder what the heck my plan is. We can talk about it in the water."

"Um, yeah. Ok." I say, "Thank you."

"Yeah no problem, I'll grab you a suit now," she says while walking in the house, "I'll be right back."

I feel so bad for staring, she's just really different. And not just her appearance, she's confident now. I kind of like it. I think it's really good she's gained her confidence. I like seeing her so happy.

She walks back outside with some dark purple trunks. She starts saying, "I hope these fit, you can change in the bathroom. That's the second door to the right."

"Ok thank you," I'm starting to feel more comfortable. What will she think of me in a swimsuit? I've kind of gotten abs from all of the gem training. Not very defined though. She probably won't even notice, I step into the bathroom to change.

Connie's POV

I sit down on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water facing away from the house. I kick my legs a bit, playing with the water and the ripples.

What does Steven think of me? I don't know. Probably just the same as when we were kids. Yeah, he probably still thinks of me as back then. Why does it even matter what he thinks of me? What do I think of him? Oh gosh, do I like him?

The bathroom door opens behind me and I hear footsteps. I continue staring at my feet and playing with the water. I can't believe what I just thought about. Do I like Steven? Probably not.

"Hey I want to thank you for having me at your house and in your pool," Steven says behind me. I turn my head and look over my shoulder to see Steven. He's wearing the purple trunks I lent him. He has his hand on the back of his neck which means he's probably embarrassed. But that only exposes his biceps which are very muscular, and oh wow Steven has abs.

I blush.

I blush hard.

Ok I think I like Steven.

*******
Hi! Thanks for reading. I'm going to publish more regularly now. I'll come up with a schedule soon. Maybe? I'm not sure yet. Anyway, happy belated new year and have a good day!