Happy Birthday

I wake up and Connie is still asleep, she's leaning her head against my chest. I want this moment to last so I try to fall asleep again. I wake up a second time to find Connie stirring. She lifts her head to look at me and practically jumps.

"I-I'm so sorry I was leaning on you like that, I don't know what—," she says looking flustered.

"Hey hey, it's ok," I interrupt her as I put my hand on her arm, "I kind of liked it." I don't know what I'm saying, words are just coming out of my mouth. 'What happened to not jeopardizing our friendship?' I ask myself.

Meanwhile Connie turns bright red, "Really? You liked it?"

"Yeah..." I say embarrassed, I look down at my feet. "Oh! Happy birthday! I'm so sorry we're here on this miserable island and not back home where I had this plan, oh shoot the plan."

"No no, it's ok, there's no place I'd rather be than with you on this beautiful island for my birthday," she says smiling softly.

Now I'm blushing, "Hey since I can't give you the presents I prepared for you can I give you something else?"

"Yeah of course, what is it?"

"Come with me," I say and I take her by the hand and put my phone in my pocket.

I lead her up the hill our shelter is leaning on, I take her to the top. Her hand still in mine I pick a daisy in my free hand at put it in her hair. She smiles and blushes. Then I take out my phone and prop it up on a tree stump and play soft music.

I gesture my hand towards her and bow, "May I have this dance m'lady?"

She giggles and says, "Of course."

I put my hands on her hips, she puts hers on my shoulders. We dance for a long time, little does she know I spend this time building up my courage. I ditch the idea of hiding how I truly feel about her and decide to just go for it.

A particularly slow song comes on, she sort of reads the vibe and puts her hands more around my neck, pulling us closer. Internally I thank her. I can tell we're both nervous.

"Connie, you're my best friend, I enjoy our time together always," I'm so nervous but I begin talking, "You're such a wonderful person to be around. There's this warm feeling I get when I'm around you," I can tell she's surprised, but she's also smiling in the best possible way, "Pleasantness radiates off of you. I love your interests, I love how kind you are. I love practically everything about you. Do me a favor and never stop being so perfect. Happy Birthday."

And with that I lean in for a kiss, it might be the worst thing I've ever done, but it feels liberating acting on how I feel. I feel her lips touch mine and there was nothing that could stop me. She didn't pull away. I'd felt like this towards her for a long time, I want this moment to last forever. I suddenly think about what she's probably thinking.

I pull away, "I'm so sorry if that's not what you wanted, I just had to tell you how I feel, I totally disregarded your consent I'm so sorry, I don't —,"

She cuts me off, "It's ok, it's ok Steven. Do you have any idea how long I've been waiting for you to say that? And as for the consent thing, you're fine, although next time you go kissing a girl ask, 'cause who knows."

"I was hoping that the next time 'I go kissing a girl' is with you."

"I'm sure I can arrange that," she says smiling.

She leans in and we kiss again. This is surreal, I never thought this would happen to me.