What are we? (4)

Zoya spent another night tossing and turning. It seemed like she would never sleep again.

After Aditya had dropped her home, her parents had called her to see how she was doing. There was no way she could tell them what had happened with Aditya so she just lied and told them everything was fine. They were away in Mussoorie to attend a relative's wedding and Noor had gone along with them. At this point they had already been gone 3 days and were scheduled to be away for another week or so but Noor was going to return sooner since Zoya needed her help at Zosh.

The next morning Zoya rose from her bed and followed her morning routine like a robot. The last few days had drained all her energy from her body and she didn't know how to resolve the issues with Aditya or the feelings in her heart so she decided she would just go to work and and focus on that for now.

Once again she turned up to the office late, sluggishly dragging herself into her cabin, but not before looking over to Aditya's desk and noticing that he hadn't arrived.

Akanksha and Mona noticed her exhausted demeanour and realised that their bosses had seemingly been unable to solve whatever problems had occurred between them but it wasn't their job to interfere. They decided the best they could do was walk into Zoya's office and be of help to her, hopefully alleviating some of her stress.

As they approached Zoya's cabin Mona knocked and when Zoya beckoned them in,they both entered.

'Good morning ma'am. How are you today? All ok?' Mona asked.

They realised Zoya was staring into space and so had to ask her again.

'Ma'am, all ok?'

This time Zoya snapped out of it.

'Hmmm what...yes yes sorry. All fine thanks Mona. Can you tell me the schedule for today please?'

Mona and akanksha began to update her accordingly but before they could finish she asked,

'Mona, have you seen Aditya today? Has he come into the office?'

They were a little surprised by this question and both looked at each other.

'Umm ma'am we thought you would know since you were with Adi sir last night. He said he wasn't feeling well so he won't be coming into the office for a few days.'

Zoya's heart stopped for a minute. He wasn't coming in? She didn't know how to feel. On one hand she was happy that she wouldn't have to deal with seeing him for a few days but on the other hand her heart was heavy. She was going to miss him dearly but she was grateful he respected her enough to give her the space he promised. Her mind was more jumbled than she realised and it would take her some time to understand her feelings. Maybe him being away would be a good thing so she could come up with a decision on her own. Maybe....

Once again Zoya was lost in her thoughts and so Mona beckoned her.

'Ma'am your first meeting of the day is in 30 minutes. We're set up in the conference room. Do you need anything else.'

Zoya went into professional mode and responded.

'No thank you Mona, I'm fine. I'll be there soon.' As Mona and Akanksha walked out of her office, she looked at her laptop and checked a few emails, steeling herself to focus on her work and clients. She had a few very important upcoming events including the hugely prestigious Kumar-Babbal wedding and she wouldn't let her emotions get the best of her. With her resolve strengthened, she got up and walked out of her cabin towards the conference room.

The next 2 days were filled with work. She spent most of her day in the office, not only because she had a lot to do but because working made her forget the pain she was feeling in her heart and so she threw herself into it wholeheartedly. But when she was home alone at night or when she allowed herself to daydream, she only ever thought about one person.