Chapter 17

'Zoya, May I have this dance?'

Chapter 17

Zoya spun around to find the man she was looking for, right in front of her eyes.

Aditya's face was still glowing, in the way that it was glowing when Zoya saw him with Kirti.

'May I have this dance Zoya?' He said as he put his hand out, hoping Zoya would take it.

Zoya looked down and just stared at his hand for a few seconds, almost like he'd spoken to her in a different language. She blinked a few times before she finally responded,

'Aditya...I...I...need to...I'm busy.'

Aditya frowned at her response. He looked around her to see what she was doing but couldn't figure it out.

'Zoya, can't someone do whatever you're doing.'

He then crossed his arms and continued, 'you don't even look that busy.'

Zoya was cornered. She really did want to dance with Aditya. She wanted to feel him close  to her. She wanted to put her arms around his neck and sway with the music. She wanted to lose herself in him but as she saw Kirti walk towards them, she thought she had just lost him. Kirti walked around Aditya so the three of them now stood in a circle.

'Aditya, if Zoya is busy right now, why don't you dance with me and you can dance with her later.'

Aditya looked between an obviously stressed Zoya and a joyous Kirti. He looked directly into Zoya's eyes and spoke,

'Zoya, I'll come back for you.'

Kirti smiled at Zoya and put her arm through Aditya's and walked him to the dance floor.

Zoya knew she should look away but she simply could not do it. Aditya and Kirti walked onto the dance floor just as a slow dance song began.

Zoya watched as Kirti put her arms around Aditya's neck and Aditya put his arms around her waist.

Aditya's back was to Zoya so she couldn't see his expressions but she could clearly see Kirti's. The happiness clearly reflected on her face could not be mistaken.

Kirti shot a quick glance at Zoya and smiled demurely and immediately looked back at Aditya and whispered something in his ear. A few seconds later Aditya turned around and he caught Zoya's eye.

'What is going on?' Zoya thought. 'Why is he looking at me? What is going on? If I keep this going, I'm going to go crazy!! I have to leave...'

As these last thoughts ravaged her mind, the song ended and Aditya looked back at Kirti who put her arms around Aditya's neck and pulled him close.

Zoya's heart stopped.

'This is it. I lost him.'

A sob escaped Zoya's mouth before she could stop it but she couldn't keep looking at the sight ahead of her so she turned around and started to run.

***
When Zoya had refused to dance with him, Kirti had come to take her place.

'No actually, that's not possible. No one can take Zoya's place.'

He had reluctantly walked away from Zoya but only after telling her that he would come back for her.

Even through the dance, his heart and mind had not left Zoya. Though he had his back to her, he tried to peek at her as often as possible. How could he ever look away? Why would he ever choose to look at anyone else when he could look at the most beautiful woman in the world?