Chapter 22

2 Years Later - December 27th

"Welcome to Konohagakure," Miyu greeted as the foreign team of ninja approached the main gates, eyeing their headbands all the while, "State your business."

"We wish for and audience with the Hokage." The leader, she assumed, held out an official scroll that had been sealed with the mark of the fourth Raikage.

"I see," Miyu didn't have to check the scroll to know what their business was about, "Follow me then." She turned and set a brisk pace for the Hokage tower.

"So," One of the ninja attempted some small talk, though his smile was a bit too tense, "You must be a chuunin I'm guessing? Stuck on gate duty maybe?"

"Actually, you're wrong on both accounts." She replied, indulging him a bit.

"A genin then? First time gatekeeper?" He tried again.

"Hm, wrong again," She shook her head lightly, eliminating the most common assumptions, "This is the first time in months I've been in charge of people's comings and goings. It was the only mission I was allowed since I'm supposed to be recuperating." She allowed a small smile that unknowingly eased the foreigners' tension.

"Jounin then?" The Kumogakure ninja continued, "Pretty rare for someone your age."

"Not as much as you think." She answered with a shrug. Miyu led the group to the red landmark and ushered them inside, sharing a few words with the secretary before proceeding upstairs, ninja in tow. "You're lucky he's not very busy today," The blonde commented, "Otherwise you might have had to wait a day or two."

"Thank you for escorting us." The same ninja she had been conversing with, replied politely as they stood in front of the office's large, double doors.

"It's my job." She knocked on the door a few times and waited.

"Who is it?" A young, cheerful voice called out.

"Miyu," She replied, "Ambassadors from Kumogakure are here for an audience."

"Come in." His tone changed into something a bit more professional but when they opened the door they were still greeted by a smiling face.

"Should I return to my post?" Miyu asked, wondering if Minato wanted to keep her out of political affairs.

"No, you're fine as is," He replied, asserting her place as a high ranking shinobi in front of the foreigners, "Now what was it you wanted to discuss?" The leader of the group cleared his throat, taking in the similarities between their guide and her leader, and storing the information away for further use.

"Kumogakure would like to propose an alliance." He announced, passing over the important scroll.

"Alliance?" Minato was pleasantly surprised as he read through what he took as an earnest request. Miyu remained sceptical regardless. Sure some of her memories were a little foggy after all these years but she remembered enough of her history to know what happened last time Kumogakure requested an alliance. This time she was also emotionally invested and would not allow her sensei to die. "Hm, I'll need some time to think this over," The Hokage stated, "I'll send a reply when I've decided but feel free to stay the night."

"Thank you for your consideration." Their leader said smoothly.

"Bear here, will lead you to your accommodations," One of the hidden Anbu dropped from the ceiling landing next to the door, "Enjoy your stay in Konoha." Only once the ambassadors were out of sight did Minato release a sigh and another smile. "Isn't this great Miyu? If we secure an alliance there will surely be fewer wars."

"Don't get too excited," She warned, "Alliances don't last forever and such a thing as betrayal exists."

"Bah!" He waved off her concerns, "I fought the Yondaime Raikage in the last war. He seems like a straightforward type of guy." Miyu sighed with a small shake of her head wondering if Kumo was still willing to go through with its plans now that Minato was alive and well. As of now Kumogakure was the only village that could contest with Konoha in terms of economy and military. "But let's put these thought aside for now, I can't decide without telling the council after all."