Chapter 30

The night was silent, the sky dark and moonless, but such were trivial things in his eyes. What had currently caught his attention was the strange woman serving him tea. Her tanned hand placed a simple cup on the table in front of him, steady and moving fluidly as if she didn't fear him. It was a new experience and one he did not know if he liked. He almost flinched when her hand came closer, the sand in his gourd shaking in agitation, calming only when he realised her she was merely petting the fox beside him. "Who are you?" He asked, trying to discern the look in her eyes.

"I thought we already established that Gaara." Miyu replied with a slight smile.

"You merely gave me you name. I know nothing else, nor do I know what you want of me." She spoke his name in the way one would call a friend, without a single bit of fear in her voice.

"I am just a standard shinobi of Konohagakure, nothing more nothing less," She assured, "I didn't call you here to ask for anything either. Instead I was wondering if there was something you wanted from me."

"I don't understand." The red-haired teen replied.

"Did you enjoy the past few weeks?" Miyu asked, veering slightly off topic, "Do you like the peace? The silence?" She tapped her head and he was instantly set on alert, sand rapidly seeping from the top of his gourd.

"How do you know about Mother?" Gaara asked, his voice on the verge of murder, "Why does she not speak to me anymore?"

"Shukaku is not your mother," Miyu clarified with her words falling on deaf ears, "He does not speak because there is nothing to say."

"Lies!" He held his head in his hands, pulling at the short hair, "Were you the one that took Mother from me? Give her back!" His gourd was mostly empty now, its contents swirling around him erratically.

"Kurama." The fox stood, stepping away from the boy and as he left his side the whispers in his head returned.

"Why?" the sand seemed to slow as Gaara focused his eyes on the fox. The voice was the same but its words were different, "Why does Mother fear you?" Instinctively he wanted to escape but it was almost as if something was holding him in place.

"Because I am strong." The fox's deep voice echoed across both their minds, "Shukaku knows me well, but even through his fear, his hatred, he is greedy." It was not the first time he had spoken to the boy, and if anything Gaara seemed to calm at the second voice echoing through his mind.

"Mother does not know you." The jinchuriki denied, as the voice began to confuse him. Whilst its call for blood was absent, the contradicting words affected him more. "She does not know you... know you're, you are an imposter. Leave. You did not, could not. Mother said it is, was forbidden." Miyu wondered how much of what he was conveying, he actually understood. From the mess of words it seemed Shukaku did somewhat recognize Kurama, as well as the circumstances of his current existence.

"Shukaku, quiet down," Kurama all but ordered, "You are overloading the boy." The beast heard his words, albeit begrudgingly, disappearing further into the depths of Gaara's mind.

"She is still there," He was relieved that Mother had not left him completely again. The voice was quiet but clear, a single demand coming to his knowledge. "Mother wishes to be like the fox. She knows you are capable." Gaara turned to the blonde woman. He assumed she was strong even before his mother had told him. It seemed Mother knew what he was supposed to ask of her.

"As always you have the nicest tea, Sensei." Miyu took a relaxing sip of the steaming liquid, stretching out her legs as she bathed in the gentle sun.

"I'm lucky to have such a good supplier," Hizashi replied with a smile, "Otherwise I wouldn't have a chance to see my dear students anymore." It seemed the Hyuuga's tea was more than enough to lure his hardworking students into visiting once in a while.