7-Quick! Hide the Clothes!

I awoke in the middle of the night to find that Ande was gone. That's weird. I sat up right in bed and looked outside the window. Outside was Ande talking to a hooded man in a cloak. How odd. A sinister smile crossed Ande's face. That's not the Ande I know. He handed the hooded man a bag presumably full of coins and hurried back to the manor with his hands in his pockets confidently. The hooded man just stood there looking out at the forest. Eerily he turned his head towards me and for a minute it felt like he was staring straight into my soul. He disappeared, with a flick of his cape, off into the thick forest until you could no longer see him. How strange... the door opened with a click and Ande entered. He looked surprised when he noticed I was awake.

"What are you doing up?" He whispered gently.

"I woke up and you weren't here, I got really confused... who was that person outside?" I asked wide awake.

"You saw that?" Ande looked uncomfortable and started fidgeting with his shirt, a bad habit of his. "Um well I uh..."

His face slowly changed to something quite grim. He walked calmly towards me with a gaze that could kill.

"What's wrong?" I ask slightly frightened by his sudden change in demeanor.

He didn't answer. Instead he pulled out a pouch from his pocket and sprinkled a weird dust onto my face.

"I'm sorry, I swear this will be the only time I'll ever do something like this to you. Everything I'm doing is for your sake, it's all for you." He whispered with obvious pain in his voice.

"Hey Wha-" I tried to interject and brush the strange substance off my face. Out of no where I grew sleepy and yawned. "I'll ask tomorrow let me just sleep for now..." everything faded to darkness which seemed scary but calming. The last thing I saw was Ande holding my head in his arms as I drifted off to sleep.

-------

I woke up groggily for what felt like the second time but as far as I could remember was not the second. Ande sat in a chair reading a book. I got a weird feeling when I saw him that almost reminded me of fear... maybe I'm just imagining things. He eyed me staring at him and smiled.

"You're awake!" He smiled happily. "So what is it that you would like to do today?"

"Figure out a way to not go to my 13th birthday party." I complain.

Ande looks astonished. "Why wouldn't you want to go to your 13th birthday? I understand you hate social gatherings but aren't you excited to get your magic capacity measured?"

I already know Scarlet doesn't have any magic capacity. Commoners all get measured at the end of the year if they are 13 and nobles get their own ceremony in their birthday. I would very much prefer not to be humiliated for having no magic capacity in front of a bunch of nobility thank you very much. Not to mention it brings me one step closer to death since it's the day I get engaged to the prince.

"Honestly I don't really care about my magic capacity." I answer nonchalantly. I would care if I had some, in fact I would very much enjoy learning magic but that isn't possible.

Ande slowly nods and fiddles with his shirt, two of his consistent habits. "Alright, I guess I could try helping you."

"Great! Help me hide all my fancy dresses!" I signal him a thumbs up.

We spend the rest of the day trying to sneak lit hide all my dresses without anyone noticing. I've been storming them all in a bunch of chests in the shed. It's quite the affective method. I learned out a breathe satisfied that all I have left in my closet are pieces unsuitable for a birthday celebration. My father will have to delay the whole celebration which will hopefully cause the royal family to be unable to attend. I remember that the royal family has such a busy schedule that you have to preplan an event for them to attend at least a year ahead. If the date of my birthday celebration is moved then the prince can't attend and I can't get engaged! I smile triumphantly as the last dress is stored in the large chests. Just in time too because my birthday is next week! I skip back to the manor with Ande in tow. This plan will work... right?

-----------

I woke with a start. Why was I being shaken awake? It's my birthday for crying out loud! I groggily opened my eyes. Tia the maid was beaming back at me nearly blinding me.

"Come on you have to get ready!" She exclaimed.

Wait I already hid all my dresses. Why was she telling me to get ready? I rested my eyes for a bit. Zzzzzzzzzzz. Huh? I woke up again.

"We went ahead and did your makeup while you slept for a bit, I hope that's okay, we were just so excited we couldn't help ourselves!" The maid explained energetically.

"Umm okay?" I mumbled still unable to process what just happened.

"Now for the dress!" She squealed, bringing our a shimmering blue off the shoulder dress.

Holy cra...

At least it's pretty?

"Where did you get that?" I asked while laughing nervously.

"The maids and I have been carefully making ever since we found out about your birthday!" She smiled eagerly. "You don't have to wear it I mean..."

"No no I'll wear it!" It's beautiful." I smiled. Ah, there goes my chance for freedom. I would feel terrible if I said no though since they put so much work in it. Only problem now is that I actually have to go to my birthday ball... shoot. I'll just stay in the corner and act like nothing is happening.

The doors to the ballroom open grandly. At least from what I remember nobody really cared about seeing me. People all turn to look at me and I suddenly feel self conscious. Do they have to look for such a long time? Do I really look that weird? I thought since I was skinnier and wearing a pretty dress I would be pretty enough to be average compared to the original me... I guess not. I bow as gracefully as I can and walk to sit next me my father. There's a speech then everyone starts socializing. Walking around I greet the guests but then spot the most glorious thing of all. A silver platter is stacked high with desserts. Strange exotic ones and rich creamy standard ones alike, they all combine to create a colorful display. Most ladies are too afraid to mess up their make up by eating one of these but not I. Piling my plate high I sneak out to the balcony to eat in peace. I start with the strawberry tarts then make my way to an unknown mango and cream dessert. I can feel a pair of eyes on me.

"I never thought I'd see a noble's daughter, stuffing her face with sweets." A voice laughs from behind me.

Spinning around my eyes meet with a boy around my age. His face is shadowed my the darkness so I can't tell who it is.

"How rude, these desserts are delicious thank you very much, and they are meant to be eaten! I can eat them if I want!" I cross my arms in front of my chest showing my annoyance to the situation. "Who are you to judge me anyways?"

The boy stepped out of the shadows revealing a face far too handsome to belong to a 13 year old. Oh no.

"Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Jackson... Prince Jackson.