The Worst People On Earth

Jace walked back in the room, a little more cleaned up this time. He switched into a graphic tee and the only pair of jeans I'd ever seen him in that weren't ripped. He sat down next to his parents with his head staring at the phone in his lap.

Chase walked in with his own plate and sat down next to him. They seemed so different, but when they sat down next to each other, they were so alike. I guess it made sense, since they were identical twins and not fraternal, like my babies.

"Great, now we're all here," Katherine said.

"I mainly wanted to talk to Jace," Mom said.

"Who is this?" he asked his parents.

"I'm Chrys' mother, who do you think? I'm also the grandmother of your children," she said.    

Jace rolled his eyes and looked away. I tried to imagine what Mom would've done to us if we were that disrespectful. No phones or computers for weeks.

"Chrys, honey, why don't you want to get an abortion?" Mrs. Hetcher asked.

"I can't believe you're asking her that!" Mom said.

"Mom, it's okay. Let me answer," I said, but Katherine cut me off.

"I'm just saying, my brother had a kid at your age. You know what happened? It ruined his life! He's dead now because of it! He committed suicide! I can't let that happen to one of my kids," she said. 

"Well...I...I don't want to abort my babies. I just don't want to do it. I can't kill my babies," I said. 

Everyone fell silent. I saw Mom out of the corner of my eye doing everything she could to hold herself back. Henry filled her empty glass with wine, then gave Katherine another refill. I didn't even realize the glass was empty. I'd never seen Mom drink before.

"Oh, I see. You're one of those types of families. Listen...you're not carrying a baby. You're carrying two parasites. Two little clumps who are sucking the life out of a young girl with...potential," Katherine said. She took another sip of wine. "How old are you, seventeen? Abortions aren't a big deal. I had three by the time I was your age!"  

I couldn't even answer her. Parasites? My babies had little faces. They had beating hearts. They had tiny little arms and legs, each with tiny little fingers and toes. Sure, I was tired and nauseous and had aching feet, but none of that mattered. How could someone say something so sickening?

"You have a lot of nerve, telling a young girl that," Mom said.

"Oh, please. I'm merely telling her the truth. Abortion will clear this whole mess up, which is what I know that all of us want," Katherine said.

"It doesn't matter! She said she's not having one and that's that!" Mom said.

"Okay then. Everyone just calm down," Tim said. "I'm sorry to upset you, Chrys. As far as I know, you've been a good, loyal employee to us, which we're grateful for."

"Oh uh...thanks," I said.

"If you're not comfortable with abortion, are you thinking of adoption, then?" Tim asked.

"Ha! No way! She's keeping them," Poppy said for me.

"You can't be serious," Katherine said before finishing off her next glass of wine. She turned to Henry, who was behind her. "Refill, Henry."

"Yes, madam," he said, pouring the red wine into her glass. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm not giving up my babies. I love them way too much," I said.