Chapter 1 - The Council

Aloryssa stood in her husbands study, listening to the Wizard and her husband discuss the mission of the hobbits. She could see the hobbits that had brought the ring, one of them packing away the his possessions as he talked to the dark haired one, the one she had aided in healing. 

Gandalf turned towards Lord Elrond, as the half-Elf their discussion.

"His strength returns."

"That wound will never fully heal," Aloryssa felt a pang of sorrow for the small hobbit, he had recieved an injury delivering something he had never wanted within his possession. "He will carry it for the rest of his life."

She was quick to respond,

"He never should have been placed with such a burden."

Gandalf nodded in agreement. 

"Gandalf, the enemy is moving. Sauron's forces are amassing in the east-- his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman you tell me has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin"

Aloryssa grew glum in the face of the continuously bad developing news. 

"His treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Saruman has crossed orcs with goblin-men, he's breeding and army in the caverns of Isengard. And Army that can move in sunlight and cover great distances at speed. Saruman is coming for the Ring."

She brought her hand to the bridge of her nose, the stress of their current situation bringing a headache. Her love stepped forward...

"This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both  Mordor and Isengard!"

Gandalf said nothing, but stepped forward, deep in thought. 

She stepped away from the balcony, deeper into the study. "Gandalf, the Ring cannot stay here!" 

The neigh of a horse brought Aloryssa's attention the the arrival of men, the Mirkwood elves, the Dwarves. 

The Lord of Imladris gazed over the growing guests. 

"This peril belongs to all Middle-Earth. They must decide how to end it. The time of the Elves is over - my people are leaving these shores." Aloryssa looked down, a small stab of guilt entering her at the thought of leaving such a vast problem behind. " Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches- they care nothing for the troubles of others."

Aloryssa knew by Gandalf's expression, that his response would not please her other half.

"It is in Men that we must place our hope."

"Men? Men are weak." Elrond cast aside the idea in disbelief, "The race of men is failing. The blood of Numenor is all but spent. It's pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of men the Ring survives. I was there Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago..."

Elrond trailed off slightly, it was clear to Aloryssa that he could see the memory now, clearly in his mind.

"Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of men failed."

Aloryssa closed her eyes, as Elrond continued his tale, speaking clearly of when he lost his faith in men, of when Isildur took the Ring for his own.

She walked towards her love, placing a comforting hand upon his shoulder. His head tilted in response.

"Isildur kept the Ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of men. They're scattered, divided, leaderless."

Gandalf shook his head, disagreeing.