Chapter 10 - Calm before the Storm

Aloryssa's POV:

I ran down the side, running onto the gravelly beach, towards the water. I heard a loud whinny, looking on in shock, as a large brown horse walked towards me. I saw a large shape on the back of the horse.

"Aragorn!" I lifted his head up gently. He let out a laboured breath, and nearly fell off the horse.

I caught him, fixing his position, before heaving myself up onto the horse behind Aragorn. I kicked it into a fast trot, not risking a gallop in fearing of Aragorn falling off. 

We ran past the battle field, towards Helm Deep. The man in front of me started to stir swaying slightly. We arrived at the tip of a hill, looking onto a large stretch of land. I had to quickly guide the horse away from view, out of the sight of the thousands and thousands of orcs marching to Helm's Deep. Aragorn lifted his head at the sight.

"We have to hurry," He said.

I pushed Brego into a gallop, flying across the plains. Riding hard till we reached the gates of Helm's Deep.

Elrond's POV:

Arwen looked back at me one last time, the company leaving for the undying lands. The lanterns lit their path, as they left Rivendell. There were still a few hundred elves left in Rivendell, mainly soldiers aimed to protect the last standing entrance to the undying lands,

"I amar prestar aen... han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae, a han nostan ned gwilith." Lady Galadriel's voice echoes, as I watch the company leave.

"The power of the enemy is growing. Sauron will use his puppet Saruman... to destroy the people of Rohan. Isengard has been unleashed. The eye of Sauron now turns to Gondor, the last free kingdom of Men. His war on this country will come swiftly." I took a deep breath, wishing Aloryssa was with me now, so we could sail to the undying lands and leave.

"He senses the Ring is close. The strength of the ringer bearer is failing," I felt a pang of empathy for the hobbit, before pushing it down, "In his heart, Frodo begins to understand, the quest will claim his life. You have forseen it. It is the risk we all took

In the gathering dark, the will of the Ring grows strong. It works hard now to find its way back into the hands of Men. Men, who are so easily seduced by its power. The young captain of Gondor has but to extend his hands, take the Ring for his own and the world will fall. It is close now... so close to achieving its goal. For Sauron will have dominion of all life on this Earth... even unto the ending of the world. The time of the Elves...is over."

I closed my eyes, imagining the face of Aloryssa, she was still here, battling for the lives of men.

"Do we leave Middle-earth to its fate? Do we let them stand alone?"

I have seen the will of men fail time and time again, what makes this time any different? My question is already answered, as soon as I think it. Because they have Aloryssa... And with her, they have hope.

I quickly strode out of the room, there was going to be an eventful few hours ahead.

Aloryssa's POV:

We soon come across the view of Helms Deep, nestled into the crook of a mountain.

"Mae Carnen, Brego, mellon nin." Aragorn says while weakly petting Brego. 

We gallop up the path to the gates, right into Helms Deep, the people parting as we enter. Just over the crowd I can hear a familiar voice as someone takes Brego's charge. 

"Where is he? Where is he? Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him!" I move to the side as Gimli makes it through the crowd.

"You are the luckiest, the canniest and the most reckless man I ever knew!" The Dwarf brings Aragorn into a tight hug.