Chapter 9 - To Helms Deep It Is

I stand away from the crowd, my head bowed down in respect as the body of Theodred was lowered into the ground. 

What was the point of this stupid vial if i couldn't make it in time to heal anyone?

I sighed, listening to Eowyn as she sang in the Old Language of Rohan.

"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan

forth onsended

giedd sculon singan gléomenn

sorgiende

on Meduselde þæt he ma no wære

his dryhtne dyrest and mæga

deorost.

Bealo... "

Her voice rang out across the crowd, as some tears slipped down her face.

"Simbelmyne." Theoden says as he lets go of a white flower, watching it fall down to rest with the other flowers within the Earth. "Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebearers."

The King looks towards Gandalf, continuing.

"Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas that these evil days should be mine, The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house."

I panged with sympathy for the man.

"Theodred's death was not of your making." Gandalf reasoned. 

"No parent should have to bury their child." The King says, before loosing his strength, and breaking down crying. I turn to give the mourning King his privacy, seeing something in the distance. 

Two children upon a horse! I race over as it approaches just making it in time to catch the falling boy as he looses strength completely. Gandalf joins me, taking the girl as we bring them inside gently.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

We now sit in the hall, the two children eating, I am besides the girl. 

"They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wild men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree."

"Where's mama?"

I see Eowyn attempt to comfort the small girl, but I am already there. I place a gentle hand on the girls head whispering words of comfort to her, gently calming her as I listen to Gandalf's conversation. 

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on." Gandalf placed a hand on Theoden's shoulder. "Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight!" 

Aragorn stepped in to back Gandalf up. 

"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men  will return and fight for their king." Said King stood and walked forward.

"They will be 300 leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us." Gandalf tried to protest, but Theoden stopped him. "I know what it is that you ask of me, but I will bring no further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

"Open War is upon you, whether you would risk it or not." Aragorn says, and receives a indignant look.

"When I last looked, Theoden, not Aragorn, was King of Rohan."

I stood up.

"It does not matter who the King is, if you do not take action, even more death will come to your people."