Chapter 11 - The Battle for Helms Deep

A take a deep breath, looking over the sea of Orc. I could sense the hope of the soldiers behind me had was weaning. Gimli shuffled next to me, and I had no doubt he was apprehensive in the wake of coming battle. 

"You could have have picked a better spot." The dwarf huffed with an annoyed look at the elf, who responded with a hint of a smirk. I turned to Aragorn's loud footsteps, as he rejoined us, wherein Gimli spoke again. "Well lad, whatever luck you live by, let's hope it lasts the night."

Lightning flashed across the land in the distance as the storm approached, the crackling thunder echoing, bringing dangerous premonitions with it. 

"Your friends are with you, Aragorn." I patted the rangers arm after Legolas nodded to him.

"Til the very end." He smiled at both of us, until Gimli, once again decided to comment.

"Lets hope they last the night."

Aragorn walks away, through the ranks of our army as the opposition makes their slow but never the less terrifying approach.

"Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn ... an uben tanatha le faelas!" He roared across the tense crowd.  

I closed my eyes, taking in a deep breath, mentally preparing for the struggle to come. I didn't want to think about what would happen if we failed. 

The larger orc lets out a coarse and rough roar. Their army comes to a stop, and the constant thud of the orc's march fades away, as rain pelts down upon us, and lightning flashes around us. 

An eerie silence passes through the wall.

"What's happening out there?" The red haired dwarf is straining on his feet as he struggles to see the opponent. 

"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?" I allow a small smile to find its way on my face, as the other elf smirks. Gimli laughs despite the current atmosphere. Before any of us can say anything, the orcs began to pound their spears into the ground. 

Aragorn lifts his arm. I draw an arrow from my quiver and line it up to a target. Several feet away from me, an old man's arm shakes. Weak from the cold and old age, he accidentally lets his arrow free, and sails over the wall, down and into the neck of one of the fowl orcs. It topples backwards as the surrounding orcs look down at the former comrade.

"DARTHO!"

Suddenly, the commanding orc thrusts his arm forward, sword pointed at us. Their army began sprinting towards us, a wall of roars slamming our courage, but we held our position none-the-less. 

Aragorn brings his arm forward. 

"Tangado halad!" 

I tense my arm, the urge to just let it go subconsciously creeping its way into my mind, but I hold.

"Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc...a nu ranc." I barely hear Legolas, as Aragorn drops his arm and shouts to all the soldiers.

"Leithio i philinn!"

I let my arrow go, and it whizzes past my face, joining the wave of other arrows that crash into the charging force. 

I saw many fall, but as each did, another orc rose up from behind and took their position. 

"Did they hit anything?" I was close to answering, until i heard Gamling commanding us to continue firing.

I fired arrow, upon arrow at the advancing Orcs. In the corner of my eye, Gimli raises his axe.

"Send them to me! Come on!"

The approach continues, and soon, ladders are thrust up. I step up to the wall, shooting the Orcs as they try to climb the ladder. I grab the head of the ladder, pushing it out from the wall, using all my strength, and twisting. I watch in a small victory, as i see it fall backwards, and into a group of Orcs behind them.