Chapter 16 - Forging of New Paths

I had been waiting for Theoden as he rode up to his camp with his Men, his face becoming more grim as he hears how few our numbers were to be in the upcoming battle. I can hear his grumbles as Aragorn and I make our way over.

"Six-thousand spears..." He huffs, "Less than half of what I'd hope for."

We stood at his side, gazing at the smoking fields below.

"Six-thousand will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." 

"More will come," Theoden said, though his voice was filled with doubt. 

"We must have hope," I said, praying to all Valar that it would provide and show us the way.

"Every hour hastens Gondor's defeat." Aragorn muttered, "We have till dawn. Then we must ride."

Theoden nods, before parting with us. I go and sit by a campfire near my tent. An eerie atmosphere works its way into the camp, trickling though the shadows of the mountain. The horse whinny and whine, rearing back occasionally, however the Men remain quiet. Distantly, Legolas and Gimli are talking, but I pay them no mind, occupied with the flickering and sparkling of the flame in front of me. It isn't long before the sun has set, and the crickets have emerged. Gimli had sat beside me a while back, Legolas and Aragorn joining not soon after. My legs itch, having adopted a steady bounce.

I sigh, heading from the campfire...

"Where are you going Lass?" I turn to Gimli, smiling gently.

"Just for a walk, be back soon." 

I walk between tents, just wondering, and am nearly knocked over suddenly, after Merry shoots past me.

"Woah Merry! Careful!" I call out playfully as he keeps going.

"Sorry Aloryssa!" I smile, shaking my head at the Hobbit. My smile lasts for a second longer, as I overhear Eomer and Eowyn. Silently I approach, though I stay under the cover of shadows.

"I do not doubt him... Only the reach of his arm." Gamling lets out a snort of laughter.

"Why should Merry be left behind? He has as much cause to go to war as you! Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Eomer moves towards her, preventing her from walking away.

"You know as little of war as that Hobbit. When the fear takes him, and the blood and the screams and the horror of battle take hold, do you think he would stand and fight?  He would flee... and he would be right to do so." There was a pause before he spoke again. "War is the province of men Eowyn."

I choose now, to leave my cover.

"I must disagree, I'm afraid." I said, evoking a look of surprise from Eomer, as he turned to face me. "A person's ability in battle does not come from the basis of sex, no, it comes from the opportunities a person has been given in life, and their own courage." 

A huff fell from the man in front of me, as I delivered a gentle smile, and nod of the head. 

"You have a kind and caring soul Eomer, but you judge others without giving them a chance... Goodnight gentlemen," I turned to Eowyn, "My Lady..."

I turned, and glided away, walking towards the cliff edge, oblivious to the rider only a few feet below me. I walked along the edge of the cliff, gazing over the glowing spots in the camps down below. The end of the cliff was coming up, where the path to the fields below began.

That was when I saw him, a rider on a white horse, his hood drawn and his face invisible. He made his way around the edge of the camp slowly, trying to move with stealth around the sleeping soldiers. I followed him, until he stopped, close to Theoden's tent.