Prologue

John looked at the potential client that Sherlock was interviewing and thought that she was the strangest person he had ever seen. She was tall, with white hair that had a silver glow to it. However, she was young, so was this silver hair color a new fad?  Her eyes had an uncanny glow to them. What color were those eyes?” John thought as he shivered. As if reading his mind the young woman turned around and looked at John. “My name,” she said calmly, “is Clare.”

Sherlock leaned forward in his seat. “So, Clare what brings you here? Talk and please be quick I bore easily.”

Clare’s lips turned up in an attempt to smile. “I’ve heard that in the past you and your companion John Watson have had dealings with a Golem.”

Sherlock shrugged. “So, that was ages ago. What does it matter now?”

Clare leaned forward, moving her face so close that she was almost touching Sherlock’s nose. “Sherlock, I need you to help me find the Golem. My tracking abilities are somewhat limited in your world, so I require assistance. I was told you are the best detective in the city, is that a fact, Sherlock?” The tone of her voice was soft and musical, yet no one could doubt that it conveyed power.

The room grew so quiet that John could hear the traffic noise from outside. Mrs. Hudson’s  muted laughter also drifted in from somewhere. Sherlock was the first to break the silence. “We’ll take the case.”

Clare lips curved up in a thin smile.  “I anticipated that would be your response.” She then stood up, turned around and headed for the door.

John hurried after her. “Wait, how do we get in touch with you?”

Clare made a low crackling noise in her throat. Though it was supposed to be laughter, it gave John the creeps. “Dr. Watson, I will contact you.” Then she quietly left.

John rounded on Sherlock. “Are you kidding me? That was the creepiest woman I have ever met. Are we in the freaks of nature business now?”

Sherlock glanced at John, and then looked away. “John, I am surprised at your lack of compassion. Clare is desperate and she is definitely very far away from home.”