Chapter 14

After two days in the snow, Sherlock was thoroughly fed up. John reached out to steady Sherlock as he lost his footing yet again. As if reading his thoughts, John patted Sherlock on the shoulder. “It’s okay Sherlock, you’re superhuman back home and I am superhuman here. No matter what world we are in we will always complement each other.” John said cheerfully as his breath came out in cold, foggy clouds. The end of Sherlock’s red, cold nose dripped constantly, so much so that he had given up on facial tissue long ago. Sherlock sniffed, wiped the end of his nose with his scarf and then hurried to catch up with John.

John frowned as Sherlock trudged towards him; he looked so cold and exhausted. “We need to stop for a rest. I’m getting tired,” John lied. There was no cave and John had to dig out a shelter from the ice. Sherlock made a few attempts to assist but John waved him off. “Thank you, Sherlock, but I can work better alone,” John said as he stretched a tarp over the dugout he had carved out of the ice. John piled two blankets on top of each other for Sherlock and for himself John put down a thin sheet of canvas. John turned around to get Sherlock and swore when he saw Sherlock lying curled up in the snow. John rushed over to where Sherlock lay and softly patted him on the cheek with a gloved hand. “Sherlock, come on, wake up.” John said firmly.

Sherlock pushed John’s hand away. “Sod off, John, I’m trying to sleep.” Sherlock growled.

John shook Sherlock roughly. “Come on Sherlock, wake up.” John shouted frantically to no avail for Sherlock had lost consciousness.

“Shit, damn it,” John swore as he swung Sherlock over his shoulder and made his way over to the shelter, gently carrying his precious cargo-Sherlock to safety. Quicker than John would have thought, he tore all of his clothes off and then Sherlock’s. “God, Sherlock’s body is ice cold.” John thought as he wrapped his warm body around Sherlock’s and covered them both with the blankets.

Gradually, Sherlock’s body retained some of John’s warmth and then like sleeping beauty Sherlock’s eyes fluttered open and he smiled. “John, you’ll do anything to get me naked, won’t you?” Sherlock whispered.

John held Sherlock closer. “Sherlock, I would do anything for you. I would battle a legion of demons to save you.” John said as he kissed the side of Sherlock’s neck.

Sherlock’s voice was weak and yet he still managed a witty come back. “Would you also take on a legion of angels, John?”

John pulled Sherlock even closer. “At the risk of being sacrilegious, I would fight God himself to save you.”

“John, do you think God is in this world or for that manner any world?” Sherlock asked softly.

“Sherlock, we’ve had similar conversations before and you know that I believe in a supreme being, well other than yourself of course.” John chuckled.

Sherlock didn’t answer for he was sound asleep. John took his pulse to make sure Sherlock’s heart was beating as it should. “It is well, dearest Sherlock,” John crooned as he rocked Sherlock in his arms. “It is well…” John thought as he fell into a fitful slumber.

A few hours later John came instantly awake. “Someone else was near,” he thought as he reached for his sword.

As the flap to their shelter flipped open John found himself looking into the fierce blue eyes of a shaman. “John, don’t fear for I am your guide to the city of Asmat-sanctuary.” John got dressed quickly and nudged Sherlock awake to do the same.

When the little party finally arrived at the gates of Asmat, John was amazed, for the wrought iron gates were covered with dragon sculptures and it seemed as if the dragons moved and slithered around each other. John stepped forward to get a closer look but on closer inspection the dragons were made of iron; nothing more. As the gates cranked open the shaman, John and Sherlock made their way into the city; and as they left the gates behind John could have sworn he heard a hissing sound behind him. There was no time for contemplation; however for there in the center of the city was Ratherty and another dragon, which could only be her mate. Ratherty spotted John and slowly made her way over to where he stood with her mate in tow.