Chapter 8

As the little party made their way through the caves, Sherlock wrinkled his nose in disgust at the retched smell that filled his nostrils. “God, what is that smell?” Sherlock said as he covered his nose with his hand.

Jake shook his head and answered, “I have no idea. It smells like boiled dog crap.”

Sherlock was about to ask how Jake knew what boiled dog crap smelled like when everyone in the party froze. A large reptilian creature lay curled up in their path its sad eyes looked at them with indifference. “John, wait,” Sherlock shouted as John pushed himself in front of Jake. He stood before the creature studying it. After a few moments John laid his hand on the creature’s muzzle. He then turned to the rest of the party.

“It’s okay, she means us no harm. She is mourning for her mate apparently he is in Clare’s world and can’t figure out how to get back. Rathery is her name and she is a dragon. Her kind went into hiding after Saint George killed a dragon in Libya during the 13th Century. When the portal opened up between our worlds the Golem and Clare came into our world and Rathery’s mate when into theirs. Poor baby,” John crooned as he softly patted her side. She was a magnificent creature and even in the small pool of light from their flashlights her green iridescent scales glowed. Her large purple eyes regarded each of them in turn, until they finally rested once more on John. John’s eyes mirrored her sadness as he looked back at Sherlock and spoke softly. “We have to help her. She will die without her mate.”

The whole situation was surreal and Sherlock found himself wishing for a plain simple murder. “How are we supposed to help her?” Sherlock asked. For the first time he found himself way in over his head without a single idea.

John spent a few more moments conferring with the dragon and then he turned and addressed the small party. “We are going to have to go into Clare’s world. Once there we need to make a sacrifice and shatter the Ice Oracle. Apparently the Oracle is a magical oracle from earth’s past that was used to destroy the dinosaurs. It also acts as a portal between both of our worlds. If we destroy it everything will return to its normal state in Clare’s world and ours. Sounds, easy peasey, right?” John said casually as he shrugged his shoulders. When no one answered him John went on. “Anyway, she knows the way to the opening into Clare’s world and she is willingly to lead us there, in spite of the fact that dragons have sworn to never again have contact with the human race.”

Sherlock was the first of the party to answer John. “So, how are we going to get back?” Sherlock asked.

For a moment there was an empty, dark silence and the only sound was that of the dragon’s labored breathing.  John shrugged his shoulders again. “I suppose that’s where the sacrifice comes in. Anyway we don’t really have a choice, so what does it matter. We can’t just let these freakish creatures run rampart through London, now can we?” John quickly looked over at Clare. “Not you of course.  You are a lovely companion.”

Clare mockingly bowed in acknowledgement and then smiled at John. Sherlock looked from one to the other. He didn’t like how they seemed to have some sort of secret connection. “Can I be jealous?” Sherlock thought.

As if reading his mind John walked over and pulled Sherlock into his arms and kissed him deeply. Sherlock felt his knees go weak as John’s tongue explored the inside of his mouth. John put his arms around Sherlock’s waist to steady him and then John winked at Sherlock. “We’ll continue this mode of discussion later.” John whispered into Sherlock’s ear.

Sherlock’s face was flushed and he felt a little self-conscious as the rest of the party huddled together with their backs turned toward him and John. Sherlock could tell that John was having trouble controlling himself, due to the fact, that John’s jaw was clenched as he looked to the side and swallowed.

“Well, let’s get to it,” Sherlock said coming to John’s rescue.

John smiled deeply into Sherlock’s eyes and for a moment he was the same old, faithful John. Sherlock smiled back. Everything was going to be okay, wasn’t it? John nodded a silent yes to reassure Sherlock.

Even though Jake was supposed to be their guide he passively let John take on the leadership role, as the dragon uncoiled itself. She was a huge magnificent creature and Sherlock felt sad that dragons and humans could no longer interact. The dragon looked back to make sure that they were following her. Her large grief filled purple eyes settled on Sherlock. Sherlock felt fear as he realized that the grief in the dragon’s eyes was not for herself but for him. The dragon then looked away as they slowly began to make their way through the caves. No one spoke and after a while Sherlock lost track of the time. It seemed as if they were just going around in circles. Then Sherlock had a terrible thought. “What if the dragon is just trying to wear us down, so that she can kill and eat us?”

John held up his hand for the party to stop, “We need to rest awhile,” he said as he sat down next to the dragon. Everyone collapsed to the ground and began to rummage around in their backpacks for food and water. As Sherlock took out a thermos of water, he uneasily eyed the dragon. What or who was she going to eat? John laughed at Sherlock’s expression. “Don’t worry, Sherlock, Ratherty is a vegetarian and she only eats once a month.” John said as he patted the creature affectionately. Sherlock and crunched on some trail mix. For a moment the only sound in the caves was the crunching of everyone eating. Suddenly, John and Clare sat forward. “SSHH, listen,” John commanded. For a moment there was only silence, and then Sherlock heard it. Slide, thump, slide thump, Sherlock felt he had heard the sound before but couldn’t quite place it.

A high pitched scream filled the air, and then Sherlock remembered where he had heard the sound before. It was the screech of a Golem. The horrible creature came into view; it was even more hideous by flashlight. John was the first to react as he stepped forward and quickly wielded his sword out in a challenge. Sherlock took a deep breath as he watched John in action. The passionate way John fought filled Sherlock with desire and horror. His John so sweet, so loving, so sexually charged, hacked the creature to death in a manner of seconds. No one said anything as the evil creature breathed its last.  When John was satisfied that the Golem was dead, he took a rag out of his pocket and cleaned off his sword. Sherlock tried to ignore the arterial spray that covered John’s shirt as he approached the rest of the party. “Let’s go, the Golem are going to smell the blood and this place will be covered with them in a few minutes.” John said as he motioned for the party to follow him.

John seemed to have gained energy from the killing as he led the party. His steps unlike everyone else’s were quick and purposeful. Several times he and the dragon had to stop to let the rest of the party catch up. “Come on, step it up,” John said in irritation.

Sherlock wasn’t used to John being this way so he spoke up. “John, we are all doing our best,” Sherlock said through clenched teeth.

John stopped and looked back at Sherlock with contempt. “Well, perhaps if you ate right, exercised, quit smoking and took care of your body you would be in better shape.”

Sherlock was getting angrier by the minute. “So, now I’m in terrible shape?”

John glared back at Sherlock,” Yes, you are in terrible shape. Your intellect is perfect beyond all measure we all know that. So, Sherlock are you surprised that the great Sherlock is mortal after all? Your mind can’t fix everything, Sherlock,” John said with contempt.

Sherlock felt as if he’d been slapped, as all the anger drained out of him and was replaced by hurt.

John looked down and then met Sherlock’s eyes. “I’m sorry, Sherlock. I don’t know what go into me. Maybe I need something to get into me,” John said as he suggestively smiled at Sherlock. John then came and whispered into Sherlock’s ear. “Imagine making love in this cave while being pursued by Golem, it makes me hot with desire to think of it.” John turned around so that his motions were hidden from the other members of their party. He softly brushed his hand against Sherlock’s crotch and smiled smugly. “It looks as if you feel the same way, Sherlock. Better get some cold water, for we can’t play with all these hangers on and a dragon too.” John turned away without another word and motioned for the party to follow him. Sherlock’s loins ached with desire as he stumbled along after John. “The old John would have never played him like this”, Sherlock thought in despair.