VII

I'm back! I dropped my phone in a lake and almost lost this chapter, but luckily my phone is water resistant and I found it before it took permanent damage! Also, I have approximately 2,493,584 mosquito bites on my body.

Darryl's POV (Shocker, I know)

Life was so simple when everything was dull.

It was so much easier when everything was grey and boring. You didn't have to worry about your clothes matching since you couldn't even tell the difference between red and yellow. It was easier to not judge people based on how they looked. You could only know so much about a person without knowing their skin, hair or eye color. Did you really even know someone if they didn't have a favorite color?

Before Zak, everything was so easy. Darryl didn't care about other people, he kept to himself and his little rat dog. In school, nothing mattered but class. He didn't really have friends, he never wanted to get close to anyone.

Now that he knows Zak exists, that's all changed.

Now, Darryl wants to see the sky and the ocean. He wants to see those dark, but still somehow bright, brown eyes of his soulmate. He wants to see the stars twinkle in the night sky.

That scared him.

His whole life, all he thought was that finding your soulmate meant heartbreak. Why, you may ask?

When Darryl was young, his mom was in a fatal accident. He grew up watching his dad suffer because of it. One day, he was sitting on the swings being pushed by his father, living a life of happiness.

The next, a day filled with sorrow.

Darryl could still remember the day he was sitting at the dining room table, eating spaghetti-o's that his dad had made for lunch. All of a sudden, he heard a spoon drop. He looked up at his dad, who stood staring out the window above the sink.

He can still remember asking, "Dada, what's wrong?" His dad has turned to him, telling him to get his shoes on.

"Why, dada? I'm not done with lunch!" He had complained, whining about his food.

"Darryl, shoes. Now. I'm not telling you again." His dad had rushed to his room, grabbing a coat while dialing on the phone. He didn't understand what was happening, but he followed his dad and put his shoes on.

His dad had put him in the car, buckling him in while still on the phone.

"Hello, yes, I'm calling about a woman. Her name is Wendy, she was likely in an accident not long ago." He heard his dad say into the phone. Wendy was his mom's name, and he didn't understand why his dad was talking about his mom on the phone.

"Dada, where's momma?" Darryl called from the back seat.

"Not now, Darryl," His father snapped, before apologizing to the person on the other line. "My relation? She's my wife."

They drove for a little while, it felt longer since Darryl was young and impatient, but it was really only about 15 minutes.

They pulled up to a hospital, and Darryl was still confused but he knew not to ask any more questions. His father helped him out of the car and they rushed inside to the reception desk.

"I'm here to see my wife, Wendy. I just called and spoke to someone." His dad panted, out of breath since he wasn't really in shape.

The woman at the front desk had responded, giving his dad something to sign before they were allowed to go see his mom. He dad lightly stuck a little sticker on his chest and then in Darryl's signaling to hospital staff that they were guests.