Happy

Prompts "Don't move. I think this room is bugged." + "Can you please be happy for me for five minutes?" + "Innocent until proven guilty." + "You're going to regret this."

Word Count: 1955

"Don't move. I think this room is bugged." A familiar voice whispered in my ear, my breath got caught in my throat. It was Peter, in his tuxedo his brown eyes scanning the room. Neither of them dared to move, I trusted peter enough to know he was completely serious. After a moment he let out a sigh, "Okay listen to what I say exactly. I'm going to get you out of here." His words came out calm, like he had done this before, but there was still a hint of uncertainty. Right now his chest was pressed to my back, he had been like this for not too long. His brain was working as fast as it could, "You're not going to like this, but I need you to trust me." I looked up at him, warningly, "Peter," He looked down at me, I needed to make it out. "It's okay." Or he wouldn't live with himself. The danger was on him, not on me. I didn't deserve this. "I need you to leave the room. Stay on my left, and go slowly." I nodded, easy enough, "What about you?" He stayed silent, truth be told, he didn't know what he was going to do. This was done on purpose, only one was meant to get out alive. There was a pressure plate, as soon as it was stepped on by one person, it releases carbon dioxide. When Peter stepped on it, the gas stopped. But once I stepped off it would start again. Seems simple, both just stay on it right? Wrong, the building would blow up, if someone stepped off of it before the room was filled. They both couldn't stay on it or it would go off anyways. "I'll figure it out, but you need to go, now." I huffed, there was no way I was leaving him alone, but he prepared for this too. "I'm sorry." He pushed me off the platform and webbed the door, I wouldn't be able to go in. None would be not for two hours. "Peter!""Can you please be happy for me for five minutes?" I said as I stood before Peter. His face was pale, and his expression was blank, he looked ill. It hurt, this was good news, if the situation was reversed, I would be ecstatic. He couldn't be be happy for me, not for five minutes. I had unknowingly put myself in harm's way, exactly what he didn't want me to do. He didn't even want to be seen around me, it was dangerous. He couldn't let me know that, but how was he supposed to hide it? I had gotten the news of a once in a lifetime opportunity, and he was so proud, under all the worry. My chemistry project sparked so much interest after I had won. I was now going to Cornell University where I was offered a tour to see if I wanted to take a class there, a 4 hour drive from Queens. I was on my way to a scholarship. I had worked on the project by myself, I refused to be stuck doing all the work like I always had to, giving everyone my credit. He was terrified, for those 4 hours, I was going to be in a car by myself. Lucky I already had my license. With Toomes bounty on everyone he loved, I looked like a good target. Of course, he was happy for me. The color returned to his face, he needed to act natural. Drawing attention to this wasn't a good idea. "You're right, I'm sorry. I just- never mind. I'm really happy for you." He pulled me into a tight hug and I returned the affection. "I have more. They said I can take someone, and I wanted to know if you wanted to be my plus one?" Peter didn't even think before responding, he pulled away. "Of course, I'd love to go with you!" He blurted them mentally smacked himself, what was he thinking, agreeing to go. Truth be told, he was going to go anyways, but not as Peter and not as a friend. He planned on going as Spider-Man and as protection. What if he needed to disappear? |Y/N| would certainly notice. It was too late, he couldn't just cancel now."Wow," They both said in unison as they arrived at the college, Peter then got a call and he looked at me. He make an excuse saying it was Aunt May, but I knew better, I didn't press the matter further. "Hello?" I could hear him answer, I only heard once side of the conversation and thought nothing of it. He was just saying where he was, and why he was there. Who could he possibly be checking in with? More importantly why? I brushed off the subject, as he returned, I acted like I didn't hear his phone call. It was Happy Hogan, asking why he left Queens. Tony happened to be at the same collage, he had been doing a lot of philanthropist work at different colleges, providing grants. He had granted one in September at MIT, and everyone was hoping he was at their college. They checked in and got their temporary ID lanyards, and met with other contest winners. We would have time for breakfast, then the tour, and to finish the night dinner with alumni to answer questions and provide personal experiences. I drove separately, not liking to mix with other, my awkwardness getting the best of me. It's not like I was going to wander the campus by myself. I dropped to my knees as tears followed down my face. "What do I do Peter?!" I heard him cough, "Get everyone out of the building!" I didn't want to leave him but I knew that if I stayed it wouldn't help anyone. If I could get everyone out then Peter would have a chance. I shut my eyes, "I'll be back for you!" I left before he could protest, I pulled the fire alarm and sure enough people began pouring out in no time. Then it struck me, Peter didn't have to stay in there, it just had to look like he did. So I grabbed heavy things, and placed them at the door. I grabbed the break in case of emergency axe and started getting through the webbing. Peter's coughing had stopped, I needed to get to him soon. I put all my strength into opening the door, I hauled the plant into the room, then pulled Peter out. "Come on Peter, we have to get out of here." I pulled his arm over me, for a small guy he was heavier than I expected. Lucky for me we weren't far from the exit. "Help!" I called immediately gaining the attention of the firefighters. They pulled him onto a gurney and gave him an oxygen mask, I was able to get in the ambulance with him. I knew I was his emergency contact, he told me he didn't want to worry his aunt. I thought it was a weird question but I said yes. Now I had so many questions how was he so calm? Was this why he disappeared so much? I held onto his hand, none of that mattered, all that mattered was that he needed to get better. "I know you can hear me Peter. I love you." Once we got the hospital they took him away to try to get the toxicity out of his bloodstream. The nurse told me the doctors would come talk to me as soon as they could. I pulled out my phone and saw multiple missed calls and text messages, damn it. I called my mom, she sounded frantic, "Oh my god, are you okay? You weren't answering your phone I was so worried. I saw what happened on the news!" Thanks to Peter, I was okay. I didn't know what the news said was going on, I didn't bother to check. "I'm okay. I'm at the hospital waiting for Peter, he saved me. I just wanted you to know I was okay."I heard a sigh of relief. My mom always got worried, she couldn't lose anyone else. I always checked in with her to stop her worrying. "I love you so much. Call me later." I nodded out of habit. Once I realized she couldn't see me I responded. "I love you too." Then she hung up. I decided to go through the rest of my texts. I saw the most from Ned. I raised an eyebrow, usually he didn't text me unless he needed homework help. I clicked on his name.