Chapter 17 - Daycare

×× Show Me- John Splitthoff, Madison Ryann Ward××

Faith|Gideon|Other

June 2019

Almost three months had passed since I spoke to Gideon. Sure, maybe I did scare him away with how creepy I was. I practically screamed 'Please marry me' over a message on Amazon. He didn't exactly show any signs of even remotely having any interest in me.

I'm so stupid, stupid, stupid, I thought.

A loud plastic whack brought me out of my thoughts. I jumped and peered up to where the noise came from.

Cici, one of the workers at the daycare for Lincoln, was smiling up at me with a knowing smirk. The sign-in chart was still in her grasp on the white counter.

Her greying hair fell on either side of her face in an all-natural beautiful way. I was slightly jealous of how confident she was with those bold red glasses hanging on her nose.

I just wish I have half the courage to wear the outfits she usually wears when I finally reach her age.

I quickly grabbed the pen she was holding with the hand that wasn't holding my son and scribbled down his name. He mumbled random words in my ear, hoping to get a reaction out of me.

"How are you doing dear? Hi, Lincoln!" Cici's kind voice filled the space between us as her kind eyes squinted in a way that showed years of kind smiles.

Even though we had just moved to town, Lincoln already grew to love the ladies here at Treehouse Lane Daycare. He reached for Cici as if he couldn't wait to hug her.

I smiled as I handed him over to her and slid my striped diaper bag off my shoulder and onto the multi-colored mat.

"I'm great! Thank you. How's Gerald?" I asked her. She had been one of the only women in this town that showed any type of hospitality towards me.

My right hand quickly swiped my long chestnut hair to get it out of my face as I thought of my first encounter with her.

It was the day I got the job at the firm and I dropped my son off here as I have been doing every day since.

Lincoln clung to her neck as he always did when he saw Cici.

"Oh, that old man? He wouldn't know if I grew a tail or got a boob job. He's too glued to 'The Internet'" She said with mostly distaste for the technology that poisoned her home.

"Well, at least you know he's not around all those other ladies that are after him, " I joked.

"Oh, tell me about it! Hey! Speaking of ladies who are after men... How's it going with you know who? Did you ever reach out to him? I thought his card had his website on there" Cici cupped a hand over her mouth as if she were trying to keep it a secret, but she practically yelled the question in a room that echoed.

I laughed and shook my head about to answer her when the door chimed.

Instantly, I knew who it was because we dropped our kids off at the same time every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

I snuck a peek to the door to see those dark gray eyes that haunted my dreams. His tall six-foot-two frame filled the doorway as a sweet girl towed behind him. I adored how large he seemed next to his small daughter.

He was the gentle giant that ever single mother at the daycare pined after. I was surprised to find that he was unaware of their advances and always kept a gentlemanly approach to every conversation.

His dark and serious features we're always enough to stop my breathing as I waited for him to walk over to the front desk.

"Well, hello, Gideon and Daisy!" Cici's cheerful voice cut off my awkward staring.

Gideon grinned at the beautiful seventy-year-old woman as he signed in his daughter. I tried to stand up straight despite the fact his scent always made me weak in the knees.

Cici caught me staring and winked. I looked away, not wanting him to notice me standing there, which wouldn't be a problem because he never did.

"Good morning, Cici...Ma'am, " Gideon said as he nodded towards me.

Ma'am! Did he call me Ma'am? My mind screamed.

"Sir," I retorted, earning a quick glance from his stormy eyes.

Gideon in the flesh, squinted his eyes slightly as he studied me. I felt the crushing weight of his intense gaze as our eyes stayed locked. A hot red blush spread across my cheeks before I looked to Cici.

She had a gigantic grin plastered on her face as if to say 'I know something's going on'. It was the same smug grin she had as she handed me Gideon's business card almost a year ago. It had taken me a whole month to try to figure out how I was going to approach Gideon. I decided on the cowardly option of anonymity.

I turned away from him to thank Cici before heading towards the exit.

I was a coward and knew it.

I pulled out my phone to shoot him a text as I watched Gideon through the smudged window.

_____________

Hey Ghosty-Mcghoster.

____________

My eyes focussed onto the window where I could see my reflection. My long brown hair flowed in the light breeze and I took notice of my eyes. I looked like a lost puppy looking for its owner.

Ugh, I'm pathetic, I thought.

Relief washed over me as I watched him dip his hand into his pocket to fish out his phone. He typed back on his screen and I could have sworn a smile danced on his lips.

My phone buzzed in my hand.

__________________

Hey Wonder Woman.

❤❤❤❤ Hi everyone! More updates to come! Thank you for reading

Please vote, comment, and follow! :)