Chapter 50 - Leave

AmazonWarrior | Garrett | Gideon

Previously on Amazon Warrior...

"He spent every day dropping Daisy off at the same daycare as you and looked right through you," Garrett's voice trailed off as he thought of how to express himself, "I noticed your smile the moment you walked off those elevators. I can remember exactly what you were wearing... a pink dress with a white flower on the bottom."

His words sunk into me.

Oh my... Garrett is in love with me!

That was the reason why he was so distraught in the bathroom that day. He was protecting his brother from me, the same woman he wanted. I turned to face him. His eyes were flickering back and forth as his chest heaved up and down as if he just ran a marathon.

"Garr-" I started, but he cut me off by pressing his lips to mine.

___________________________________

The moment I realized Garrett was kissing me, my hand raised instinctively. The crack of my hand against his cheek sounded throughout the walls of my secluded office. He ripped his lips from mine and my hands touched my lips to cover my apologetic gasp.

The ringtone of my phone blasted from my desk and I scrambled to get up to escape Garrett. He watched me with wide eyes as I pressed to answer the call without seeing who it was.

"He-hello?"

"Faith? You answered," Gideon's surprised voice came through the speaker pressed up against my ear, but was soon drowned out by Garrett's shouts.

"You slapped me!" Garret yelped and stood up from his seated position, rubbing his rosey cheek.

I froze instantly.

He wouldn't just assume the was Garrett, would he?

"Wa- was that Garrett?"

My stomach instantly dropped from its usual place all the way to my shaking knees.

Freakin' A. How am I supposed to explain this?

"Shhh! Shut up!" I spit out, trying to think of how to respond.

"Don't tell me to shut up, when you're the one with my brother right now! Answer me," Gideon said angrily.

"You have no right to tell me what to do... or ask me why I am with someone when you're the one with a freakin' girlfriend!" I shouted.

I had so many emotions flowing through me, I couldn't just decide on one.

"I don't have a girlfriend and I'll explain that to you in a second. Why are you with my brother?"

"I work with him... at the same office," I said quietly. Garrett was still standing next to me, no doubt able to hear my whole conversation with Gideon.

"My... my brother knows you?" He asked slowly in disbelief. A pang of guilt hit my chest as I was about to have the conversation I had been waiting to have with Gideon.

I'm still mad at him.

The guilt switched to anger once more.

"Yes, now I'm hanging up-"

"Wait! No, please don't hang up. I don't want us to end like this. Ask Garrett... He knows the situation. It was my ex-wife on the phone with you... She told me what she said," Gideon's voice cracked and my heart melted against my will.

My eyes shot up to meet Garrett's pained expression. He stepped away from me with his hands up in defense. Heat rose to the tips of my ears as I watched my friend cower under my stare.

"Is it true?" I asked quietly.

Garrett chuckled in disbelief before looking out the window. I stood there silently waiting for him to continue.

"Is it?" I pressed again with a stern tone. Gideon stayed silent on the phone, listening to my voice. Gideon had never heard this side of me.

I summoned the cold, intimidating stare I had perfected for my line of work and pointed it at Garrett.

"Please understand that I didn't-"

Gideon didn't lie to me- Garrett did.

"Leave," I choked out, pointing at the door. I was beyond angry as betrayal dripped from my eyes. He opened his mouth, about to say something. His mouth snapped shut when I straightened my stance and placed my hand on my desk, the other was holding my phone to my chest.

I'm not going to be messed with or lied to anymore.

I watched as he slumped his shoulders over in defeat and made his way to the door. He paused before pulling on the silver handle, but decided against trying to reconcile the situation.

I took a deep breath and lifted my phone up to my ear to be met with silence. It took everything in me to not break down crying on the floor. Joy flooded my chest as the realization hit me.

Giddy is still the man I thought he was.

"Giddy?"