MISSING HOME

Evie's adjusting the back of a long blue gown that Rain is modelling for her, Rain bites her lip in pain "Okay Evie, I cannot breathe," She lifts Rain's left arm up and looks at her from under it.

"Well, you can breathe after Cotillion," she starts messing with the long skirt

"Well, I sincerely doubt that. I have at least 20 more events directly behind it, and I can't even remember what a single one of them is," Rain goes to play with her hair, but everything is neatly tucked away.

"Impeccable," Evie ignores her and Rain stops herself from rolling her eyes. She'd read in one of the Princess etiquette books that it's bad manners.

Rain stares at herself in the mirror, the dress was gorgeous...but it wasn't her "Er...don't you think this dress is very..." Rain tries to find a way to phrase it without offending Evie "Auradon-y?"

"Auradon-y?" Evie laughs "You're going to a Cotillion, of course its Auradon-y!"

"I just don't think blue is my colour...or yellow for that matter,"

"Rain..." Evie takes her hands in her own, looking into her eyes "You look stunning, and it's not just because of my dress," Rain smiles "You are going to look brilliant,"

"Thank you..." Rain smiles, but then quickly blurts out "But do you think you could just change the flowers?" Evie raises an unimpressed eyebrow "Just some dark red, or dark pink! I'd be happy with dark pink!" they stare at each other for a while and Rain's eyes start gradually turning blue, Evie notices and sighs.

"Fine! I can add some darker colours...maybe some black if you're lucky,"

"Thank you! I love you!" Rain gives her a hug and Evie smiles, turning away to fiddle with some fabrics and Rain turns back as well, looking around the room.

"Evie?" Rain asks quietly as she stares at a coat hanger in the corner with three leather jackets hung up, there were two of Mal's purple ones, but behind them was a familiar burgundy shade.

"Hmm?"

"Do you ever think about what we'd be doing if we were back on the Isle right now?"

"That's funny," Evie laughs slightly

"It wasn't a joke..." Rain gets ignored again as the familiar news sound makes Evie look up 

"Ah! Look who's on TV," She drags Rain off the podium and onto her bed.

"As the royal couple continues their tour of the kingdom, they dined with Aladdin and Jasmine," the TV shows Rain attempting to avoid spitting out her drink as she laughs - Jordan hadn't spoken to her for a week after that. "Six months ago..."

"What are you two watching?" Mal asks, entering the room, Rain flashes her a wave as she stares at the screen

"The news," Evie answers happily

"Which reporter was it that gave an article the headline 'I give it one week before she curses us?'" Mal does dramatic hand movements as she walks across her room.

"I think the same one who just asked if my mother was dead," Mal winces slightly before falling onto her bed.

"Rain must be counting the days until the Royal Cotillion, "Rain's eyes widen and she gasps as she realises something. She leans down to grab a large book out of her bag "when she will officially become a Lady of the Court," Rain also takes out her spell book, flipping along the pages until she finds the right one.

"Read it fast at lightning speed. Remember everything I need," Rain picks up the actual schoolbook and turns the pages as she speeds through it.

"I know Rain's secret to fitting in, and Ben wouldn't like it one bit. Haven't you guys had enough secrets between the two of you already?" Evie walks over to Rain and puts her hand on her hip. Rain sighs, she was right.

"It was like one secret, we don't have secrets," Rain defends "Unless Ben's keeping secrets from me that I don't know about?" she raises an eyebrow, clearly joking.

"You know what I meant," Evie sighs

"Yeah..." Rain looks away "It's just so I can get through lessons. I mean, you remember what I was like before I started using my spell book.I was a complete disaster!"

"Well, personally, as your best friend," Evie leans in and Mal scoffs from her bed "I strongly believe that this spell book..." she takes it from Rain's lap and the girl groans slightly "...Belongs in the museum, along with my mirror and Mal's spell book," Rain looks up at her sadly and Evie puts her pinky finger under her friend's chin "Don't give me the face. Put the pout away. Mm-hmm. You know I'm right,"

If it was a different situation, Rain would laugh at the interaction, just as Mal was doing. Rain glances over to her. She was still on her bed and her now longer, straight hair is sprawled out behind her. Her fringe is clipped back and Rain remembers when she'd walked into the room to find Mal cutting it herself.

"You think Mal's spell book is in the museum?" Rain suddenly asks, turning to Evie, a small smirk coming to her face

"Rain!" Mal warns, whispering over to her harshly. 

"Yes..." Evie looks between them and notices Mal's behaviour "Mal! You to?!"

"It was just to help Carlos with something!"

"You said that last month!"

"Okay, I was lying then, but I'm not now!" Rain laughs loudly and falls backward on Evie's bed.

"You don't ever miss running wild and just breaking all the rules?" Mal sits up before looking towards Rain in curiosity.

"Like stealing and lying and fighting?"

"Yeah..." Rain smirks slightly thinking about it

"No!" Evie exclaims

"Kind of," Mal answers at the same time and Evie turns to her "I mean no, of course not!"

"What?" Ran looks at them both as Mal stands and Evie pulls her up from the bed.

"Why would we?"

"R, come here. Look at where we are," Evie continues from Mal's question and makes a face the T.V. "We're in Auradon! And we're Auradon girls now," Evie and Mal give Rain warm smiles, standing either side of her.

"Since Rain revealed her love of strawberries, she has received hundreds of cartons from her admirers. Here she is enjoying a cosy bite..." The screen shows Ben feeding Rain a strawberry and the girl can't help but smile watching it. Evie squeals and her face goes back to neutral.

"This is the land of opportunity. We can be whatever we want to be here," Rain looks back up at her as the reporter starts talking again.

"Princess Ruby and Rain have also been seen to be becoming closer when the Royal couple went to visit Rain's newly found parents," The screen shows Rain and Ruby laughing in the corner whilst Ben converses with their parents. In all honestly, the two were just laughing at Ben's attire.

"So, please, let's just leave the past in the past, okay? Besides, I mean, look at the shoes. Look at them," Evie picks up a pair of blue heels.

"Mm. Severe," Evie giggles and Mal wraps her arm around Rain, letting her lean her head on her shoulder as they look out to Auradon.

Edited: January 2021