Act 3 Scene 2

(Not my artwork, but I love it)

...

Taehyung chose love over the House of Montague, and Mercutio paid the price. He is dead.

Silence fills the woods, the only sound breaking the heavy tension is Taehyung's choked sniffles as he tries not to outright sob. Jungkook can see the boy's shoulders trembling, his heart cracking in two when a small whimper slips through Taehyung's lips. A grief and guilt-filled whimper that has Jungkook stepping forward subconsciously, his hand reaching up to grasp one of his fragile shoulders.

"Taehyung--"

"No! You stay away from him!" Benvolio snaps, grabbing Taehyung's wrist and dragging him away from Jungkook. And Taehyung lets him. His head and heart are whirling with despair and grief and what-ifs and confusion. Mercutio can't be dead. There is no way Mercutio is dead. Yet the tears streaming down his cheeks and the rage in Benvolio's grip just shows that it is true. Tybalt killed Mercutio. A Capulet killed a Montague. What is going to happen now? Taehyung looks up at Jungkook with blurry eyes and despair in his usually sweet gaze. Jungkook can see all the emotions swirling through Taehyung, and he knows what is about to happen. He knows what he is about to say and the thought of Taehyung pushing him away has his heart racing.

"Taehyung, please--"

"I'm sorry, Jungkook..." Taehyung whispers, his words breaking off as a sob rakes through his chest.

"Why the hell are you apologizing to him?" Benvolio growls, murderous rage in his veins. Taehyung just sets a hand on Benvolio's forearm, shaking his head as he sniffles, "What is this worthless rat to you? Huh? Why do you care about this Capulet so much?!"

"Leave him be, Benvolio. He has never--NEVER-- been a part of the feud. Please leave him be..." Taehyung pleads, his broken tone causing Jungkook's own heart to pound painfully in his chest as his panic rises.

"Taehyung, please!" he begs, knowing that if Taehyung turns around now, this is all over. This friendship--their fragile romance--will be over. And he can't have that. He's waited so long to be with Taehyung; it can't end now. Hesitantly, Jungkook steps forward again, "Taehyung, please, you know--"

"Goodbye, Jungkook," Taehyung coldly interrupts, steeling his heart as he turns his back on his lover. Benvolio keeps his grip on Taehyung's arm and drags him away while Jungkook debates on what to do. He wants to follow Taehyung and beg him for forgiveness. Beg him to remember that he is not like his family. He is not the same as Tybalt. He knows Taehyung knows this. He knows the boy is just struggling with guilt and grief. So instead of going after him, he storms off towards home, determined to get answers from the man who caused so many issues for him now. Tybalt.

Jungkook makes it half-way home before he sees Tybalt in a tavern, chugging down a tankard of ale without a care in the world. It is still early, so it is easy to see the single Capulet in the empty bar. He acts as if he is celebrating Mercutio's death. Jungkook's eyes form narrowed slits as his jaw clenches painfully with rage and scorn. He enters the tavern, and Tybalt looks up, a sloppy smile on his lips as he sees Jungkook.

"Cousin!" Tybalt shouts, wrapping an arm around Jungkook's shoulders, "You must come join me!"

"No, thank you. I don't drink in support of murder," Jungkook says coldly, and Tybalt's brows furrow.

"It was a duel. It was a justified killing or would have been had Romeo not gotten in the way. That plagued Montague was spouting nonsense about being family and making amends. Ha! Like I want to make amends with those Montagues!" Tybalt slurs, chugging down more ale.