1 - Family

"Bridgette?" I glanced up, tearing my eyes from the week old newspaper. Familiar blue braids caught my attention first, before my eyes trailed up to meet Uma's gaze. "I need a favor."

"How can I help you, Shrimpy?" I asked with a smirk.

"I'm not shrimpy!" She yelled. Slamming her hand down on the table in front of me.

"Easy, Uma," I snapped. "You came to me for something, remember?"

"Right." She sighed. "You have to let me join your crew."

"And why do I have to?" I asked, leaning back in the uncomfortable chair.

"Mal and her squad got invited to Auradon, and I need something to fill my time when I'm not working." Uma said.

"So you want into my crew because your playthings got carted off to the land of prissy princesses and pretty princes?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at her.

"There's safety in numbers." Uma spat. "And I'm alone."

"The truth comes out." I grinned devilishly, kicking my feet up on the table. "Little Shrimpy's all alone."

"Can I join you, or do I have to look elsewhere?" Uma asked through gritted teeth. I tilted my head back and forth, contemplating whether to let her join us or not.

"There is no elsewhere." I retorted with a scoff. "Mal's turf was the only thing I hadn't claimed, and now it's mine."

"Bridgette, please." Uma pleaded. "I don't have anyone."

"What about your sea witch of a mother?" I asked, pouting mockingly at her.

"Please," Uma scoffed. "She doesn't care about me. Unless she needs somebody for the night shift at the shop."

"Hmm," I hummed, tapping my chin thoughtfully. "Let's give you a trial run. If I like what I see, you can stay. If not, it's back to that god-awful fish shop of your mother's."

--------

Needless to say, after months of Uma running errands for me, I decided to keep her around. She was right about one thing; there was safety in numbers, and she was alone. I'd gotten used to her being around, just like I'd gotten used to Harry and Gil being around. We became a family to each other, as own families sucked.

Gil's father cared more about his son's appearance than anything else, driving home the idea that looks mean everything. I sorted him out, telling him that the inside mattered too. And because of his outward appearance and lack of smarts, most people wrote Gil off. But Gil had many talents; he was a good people watcher, and he reported back to me any kind of trouble I didn't sign off on. I genuinely loved the kid like he was my brother, I just hardly told him that.

Uma's mother was still wildly bitter over being cast off to an island she couldn't get off of, so much so that she neglected her daughter. The relationship between Uma and her mother could best be compared to Lady Tremaine and Cinderella; you do for me, you can live here I guess. She felt undervalued as a person, and sought out approval from those around her. On the Isle, that kind of mentality is common, but rarely acknowledged. So, I gave to her what her mother did not; a sense of belonging and someone who was proud of her. Although I'd never outright tell her, I was proud of her for coming as far as she had. She became my best friend and sister, though she'd never hear me say it.

Harry was a lost soul when I found him. He was a complete mess, blabbering about how his dad would be coming back for him any day now. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the legendary Captain Hook had gone crazier than the Mad Hatter over a crocodile and a pocket watch. Instead, I helped him become something useful for me and for himself. I taught him how to steal, and how to properly intimidate the locals into giving him money. He quickly became the best in my crew, so I named him my first mate. He longed for approval like Uma, which is exactly what he got from me. He longed for love as well, shamelessly flirting with anybody and everybody, though everyone waved him off. I didn't I welcomed his flirtation with open arms, and returned it in kind. After all, I've had a crush on him since we met all those years ago.

These three, as well as the rest of my crew, provided me with what I longed for most; a family. As an alpha, I longed for a pack, and with Uma, Gil, and Harry by my side, I'd found just that. I was forever grateful for finding these misfits and bringing them together, not that they'd ever hear me say it. I did have a reputation to uphold, and the word 'love' doesn't get used without a sarcastic tone.

But I did. Love them. A lot, actually.