What You Gonna Do?

"What? Oh, yeah. Can we pick up the chorus again?" 

"Yeah, sure thing. And...go," Dann said. Hunter took a moment to shake off his distraction. He was spending was too much time thinking about...Oh, God, Hunter, stop it. 

"If you're gonna be somebody's heartbreak; if you're gonna be somebody's mistake. If you're gonna be somebody's first time, somebody's last time,  baby, be mine." 

The day continued like that, long into the night. He didn't leave the studio until nearly midnight, but he didn't mind. It helped him, knowing that every extra hour he spent on his music was a step closer to freeing Frankie. 

He opened the door to his bedroom as silently as possible. Frankie was there, curled into his side of the bed, clutching his pillow. It looked like she was sleeping, so he disrobed quietly, took a quick shower, and climbed into bed behind her. 

"Hunter?" she said, stirring beside him. "Is that you?"

He winced. You have to ask that? I hate this so much. "Yeah, babe. It's me. What are you doing on my side of the bed?" he asked, wrapping an arm around her as she turned around and snuggled up to his chest.

"I missed you." He sighed. She was wearing her flannel pajamas. She hated her flannel pajamas. Something was wrong here.

"I miss you, too, Frankie." 

"Hunter?"

"Yes, babe?" He inhaled the scent of her hair, letting it tickle his nose. 

"What am I gonna do when you're gone?" 

He sat up, turning on the lamp on the nightstand. "Frankie, why would you say something like that?"

She looked up at him tiredly, her hand resting on his chest. "Well, I know it's going to happen someday. You're going to wake up one morning and realize you're living with a whore. You can do so much better than me." 

"Frankie, you don't have to do this for me. I told you we can find another way. You insisted! I never wanted this for you! I love you, because you're a beautiful person, and I hate that you feel this way about yourself."

She didn't say anything, so he continued. "Are you sure I can't convince you to stop?"

She shook her head. "No. You still need the money."

He sighed, kissing her forehead, but climbing out of bed. "Go back to sleep, Frankie. I'm going to go write for a while. I'll be in a little later."

She nodded, snuggling back into the sheets. "I love you," she whispered, and he sighed. 

"I love you, too." 

He went into the small room that housed his piano and sat down, placing his fingers on the keys and picking out a six-note pattern. 

"Tell me: what you gonna do when I'm gone? Where you gonna go when there's nobody home? And who's gonna love you when you're all alone? What you gonna do when I'm gone?" 

I think I've just found my next hit.

*******************************************************************

Frankie lay awake, thinking about the situation they were in. She had noticed a change in Hunter these last few weeks, and she hated to think that his career may suffer from it, rather than benefit. That was the last thing she wanted. He really was brilliant, and deserved to be recognized for it. But he had been in a bad mood too long, and it was her fault. Likely her own depression was the cause of his.

She determined then and there that he would never see her upset over their predicament again. She would act like it wasn't happening, keep it behind closed doors, and maybe Hunter would believe she was okay. That's what I will do. It's all I can do. Be strong, Frankie. Be strong for Hunter.

With a nod of agreement, she rolled over onto her side of the bed and closed her eyes. She was going to need her sleep.

Here's another chapter!(: I'm so stoked people have good things to say about this book! Thanks a mil and thanks for reading!! :3