Three

Danielle paced the kitchen back and forth saying nothing. Her mind ablaze recounting the news stories of the woman before her. It had to have been nearly a month since Kristine's face first graced the news.

   "Sister Kristine Court was last seen Thursday morning. No witnesses were able to provide any information regarding her abduction. Surveillance footage from Sacred Rose Parish showed the woman outside the convent she called home. She was taken by a man driving a silver 2008 Honda Odyssey. Police later found the van abandoned in the warehouse district. No new information has been discovered as to the whereabouts of Kristine Court or the mystery man."

   The voice of the newscaster played in Danielle's mind. She hasn't followed the story diligently, but she knew Kristine Court was still considered missing. Yet, here she was, sitting quietly at her kitchen island.

  "People are looking for you. You've been presumed dead at this point." Danielle said, finally coming to a stop. Her pacing was making Kristine anxious and a little dizzy.

  Kristine wasn't sure how to respond. The pounding in her head intensified and she closed her eyes running at her temples. "Do you have any Advil?" She whispered. She didn't look up as Danielle left the room and returned with a bottle of pills, setting it gently next to her glass of water. Kristine murmured her thanks and took the pills.

  "We need to call the police. Are you ready for that yet?" Danielle asked softly.

  "I'm so afraid" Kristine sighed softly, pushing the heels of her hands into her eyes.

  "What happened to you?" Danielle asked for what felt like the millionth time. She hated the pained look she received, but some things needed to be asked and answered.

    "Can we wait? Until tomorrow?" She pleaded, dodging the question once more. Danielle sighed and didn't respond. "I'll tell you what happened, if you wait to call the police. Please." Kristine added softly.

  "Okay. But I'm calling in the morning."

  Kristine nodded slowly, satisfied with the answer. She reveled in another moment of silence before launching into the story. "Well like I said, I was abducted. A man showed up at my convent saying he had a donation for the children. There was nothing...off or strange about him. I had no reason to believe he wanted to cause me harm. He drugged me, I think. I felt a needle in my arm and everything went black. The next time I opened my eyes, I was locked in a small dark room. I don't know where he'd brought me but I learned soon enough the reason why." Kristine spoke softly and blew out a breath, her eyes tightly shut.

  "That was nearly a month ago. How long were you in the woods?" Danielle asked softly, tears threatening her own eyes.

  "A month! What's the date?" Kristine's eyes popped wide open.

  "September 18th."

  Kristine shook her head slowly, warm tears spilling down her cheek. "I wasn't in the woods long. Maybe a few hours" She sighed answering the original question. "26 days..." She murmured to herself.

  Danielle's heart ached for the woman. She could only imagine the horrors Kristine endured for the 26 days. "Did you know him?"

  Kristine shook her head again. "I think I need to...Is it ok if I lay down?" She whispered.

  "Yes, of course" Danielle replied softly. She stood and waited for Kristine to do the same. She led the other woman to the spare bedroom and stood in the door frame. Kristine gave a small smile and walked past, crawling into the bed. "Um if you need anything just holler."

  "Thank you" Kristine murmured, turning on to her side, her back to Danielle, who gently pulled the door closed and returned to the living room. She looked at Duke who was sleeping in his dog bed, then ran her fingers through her hair and plopped onto the couch.