Fourteen

Danielle found Kristine asleep in the same position she'd left her the previous night. She rolled her eyes and smiled at the woman who snored lightly on the couch. She was halfway through her second cup of coffee when she heard the groans of a hungover woman waking up.

"Good morning sunshine." Danielle called out cheerfully.

"Oh I feel terrible. Why did you let me drink so much?" Kristine groaned as she sat up on the couch.

"The point was to get drunk. And now you get to experience your first hangover, congrats!" Danielle laughed

"You're not hungover." Kristine whined.

"Because I can handle my liquor sweetheart." Danielle teased. "Come have some coffee, I'll make breakfast, you'll feel better after you eat."

"I think I might throw up."

"Well don't do it on my couch."

"You've been a great help this morning." Kristine said dryly. "Do you have any ibuprofen? My head is killing me."

"Medicine cabinet in the bathroom." Danielle chuckled and went about making breakfast. Kristine disappeared into the bathroom and eventually staggered her way to the kitchen. Danielle set a cup of coffee in front of her and Kristine took it with a grunt of thanks.

"Now that I've crossed that off my list, I don't think I'll be drinking again. Ever." She mused lifting her coffee mug to her lips.

"Everyone says that. They hardly ever mean it...Pancakes?"

"I don't think I can eat right now." Kristine looked at the plate distastefully.

"You should eat, it will help soak up all the alcohol." Danielle said and began to dig in.

Kristine took a tentative bite and willed it to stay down. She ate slowly and found that it did indeed help her rolling stomach. The women had a lazy morning, giving Kristine plenty of time to recuperate. As late afternoon came, Danielle found Kristine dozing on the couch. She nudged the woman awake gently. "Hey, we need to return that car. The rental place closes at five."

"Hmm? What time is it?" Kristine groaned blinking the sleep from her eyes.

"It's almost four." Danielle responded.

"Danielle! Why didn't you wake me sooner? I haven't even showered today." Kristine said shooting up from the couch and instantly regretting it. One hand flew to her head and the other her stomach. Still, she didn't feel as terrible as this morning, but she definitely still needed to take it slow.

"Sorry, I thought I should let you rest. You can shower when we get home." She shrugged.

There wasn't time to debate or argue so Kristine quickly brushed her teeth and slipped on her shoes. "Alright, let's get this over with."

They got into their separate cars and Kristine followed Danielle to town. Danielle couldn't help but peek in the rear view mirror continuously. She sincerely hoped Kristine was a better driver when she was feeling good.

Kristine was relieved to return the car and get into the passenger seat of Danielle's. They made a few stops and she waited in the car while Danielle ran into various stores. Once they were back home, Danielle went to the basement to work and Kristine returned to the couch, finding something to watch and eventually fall asleep to.

Kristine awoke when she felt the couch dip beside her. "Damn, I fell asleep again. And I still haven't showered."

Danielle smiled and pat her knee. "I won't tell." After a dramatic eye roll, Kristine got up and announced she was going to shower. "Don't drown!" Danielle called out after her with a laugh.