Twelve

Things went surprisingly well with Elena. There was a good deal of the woman trying to reason with Kristine to change her mind. It was always difficult when a nun decided to leave the convent. A lot of time, preparation, and effort went into becoming a nun and taking the vows. Elena had been there every step of the way when Kristine finished high school and started her training. It was hard for Elena to accept Kristine's decision, but eventually the two women came to an understanding.

From there, everything was set in motion. It took time of course as the proper channels required contacting the Vatican and having their mark of approval. In that time Kristine worked with a counselor, one of a much different nature than Debra. This particular counselor, Joan was an ex nun herself. It was her duty to make sure Kristine understood what it meant to leave the church. She helped Kristine to be as prepared as possible for life outside the convent.

Kristine found the process to be tedious and a bit demeaning, if she was being honest. Sure, she had lived sheltered life due to the vows she had taken. But she was also pretty sure she could figure out how to use a computer and write a check. She wasn't a complete moron.

She played along however and let Joan teach her the ways of society. There was a lot her lifestyle had forbade her from participating in and she found herself nervous, but excited to start this new chapter. She'd never felt deprived of life but there really was a whole world out there that she had never experienced.

Kristine thought about contacting Danielle, but every time she thought she'd mustered up the courage to do so, she copped out. A part of her was afraid Danielle might turn her away. She reasoned with herself that she would just show up and see how things went. Her back up plan was staying with Eric, but she really hoped it didn't come to that. Also, she didn't have Danielle's contact information and was embarrassed to admit she didn't know how to look that up. She knew where the house was and that was enough.

Her final day at the convent was a flurry of emotions. Goodbyes were hard and not something she was accostumed to. Her sisters were supportive of her decision and that meant the world to her. The women of the house made a bigger ordeal of a going away dinner than Kristine would have liked. As women who lived incredibly modest, their final night together was extravagant to say the least. They laughed and drank too much wine, sharing stories and talking about life. Kristine was exhausted as they cleaned up and called it a night.

It wasn't until bed time that the gravity of it all really hit Kristine. She wondered if she was doing the right thing, although in her heart she knew she was. Doubt, however had a way of seeping into her mind as she looked wistfully at her friend who sat all too quietly on her bed.

"Abby?" Kristine whispered.

"Hmm?" Abby hummed meeting her gaze.

"Are you okay?"

"I should be the one asking you that." Abby chuckled softly.

"You've been so quiet tonight." Kristine commented with a sad smile.

"Ohh, you know. Just thinking and all. It's so weird, you leaving. We've barely been apart from each other since we were kids."

"I know, believe me, it's weird for me too." Kristine said taking a seat next to her friend.

"You'll write? And call? And visit?" Abby sighed.

"You know I will." Kristine smiled and gave her a sideways hug. Abby sighed again and leaned into the embrace.

"I just want you to be happy. And I know you're not happy here anymore." Abby whispered.

"You're the best friend a woman could ask for. Thank you for being so understanding." Kristine replied.