Thirteen

"Is that all you brought?" Danielle asked, tapping the duffel bag with her foot. She ran her fingers through her wet hair and quickly braided it down. It really was getting too long and she badly needed a haircut.

"It's all I have." Kristine replied, blushing. True to her word, Danielle was in and out of the shower in less then 10 minutes. Kristine had spent most of that time sitting on the floor playing with Duke. She had only run out to the car for her bag when she heard the shower shut off.

"Well feel free to borrow whatever you need until you can get your own stuff." Danielle shrugged. She sat on the couch and played with the car keys, Kristine had set on the coffee table. "I didn't know you were allowed to drive."

"I'm allowed to do anything I want now." Kristine said more defensively than she meant to, emphasizing the word 'allowed.'

"Sorry. I didn't mean anything by it." Danielle said quietly setting the keys back down.

"No no it's okay. I didn't mean to snap. It's all just such an adjustment. She replied taking a deep breath.

"Oh I bet." Danielle said.

"Actually, I was wondering if tomorrow you could follow me to town so I can drop the car off. I only have it for a day."

"Sure." Danielle smiled. "I need to go to town anyway."

"Perfect. You wouldn't happen to know of anyone who's hiring, would you?"

"Hmm...I have no idea. But you could always work for me." Danielle responded after a moment's thought.

"Work for you? Doing what?" Kristine wondered. She had seen Danielle's workshop and the woman was a fantastic artist. Kristine, however knew nothing about glass blowing, she'd never even seen it done before. Chances were, if given those tools she'd likely set the house ablaze.

Danielle chuckled at Kristine's confused, and slightly scared expression. "Nothing you couldn't handle. Packaging mostly. Maybe delivery if you were up for it."

Kristine thought about it a moment. She could definitely handle that type of work, but it didn't feel right. "I can't have you pay me to do something you normally do then turn around to give the money back to you."

"Why would you do that?" Danielle asked.

"Do what?" Kristine said, confused.

"Give the money back to me?"

"I can't live here rent free. I don't need your charity, Danielle. I want to be able to offer something to the table, plus I'm interested in going to school." Kristine explained.

"It's not charity work, Kristine. It's busy work that I'm not fond of. You'd be doing me a favor. Also I wouldn't accept rent from you...and what would you go to school for?" Danielle asked.

Kristine sighed. She realized now how little she knew Danielle. Apparently the woman was stubborn. "Well it wouldn't feel right living off you for free."

"You wouldn't be. You'd take care of the work I don't want to do. It's a win-win. What do you want to go to school for?" She asked again.

"Nursing, I think." Kristine replied. "I'd be happy to work for you in exchange for you letting me stay here. But I won't accept payment. I'll find a job in town."

"Don't be ridiculous. It's a 45 minute commute back and forth. And believe me you won't want to do that when the snow comes." Danielle replied. "By the way I think you'd make an excellent nurse." She chuckled, thinking about how well Kristine cared for her when she'd elbowed her that night.