Sixteen

The next few days were filled with getting into a routine. The first step was a crash course in computers. Danielle couldn't help but be amused by how little Kristine knew on the topic. When Danielle felt fairly confident that Kristine could manage her online store she taught the woman how to package and ship items. About half of the artwork Danielle made were for online orders while the other half went to the shop in town that her friend Jamie owned. Danielle was able to get back on track with her work and having Kristine's help made the process faster and more simple.

The woman loaded boxes into the car for a trip to town. Danielle was a little nervous to take Kristine to Jamie's shop. Since her chat with Jamie after Kristine left, their relationship had returned to strictly business.

Jamie had no interest in carrying on their casual relationship when she had learned of how Danielle felt for Kristine. Neither Jamie nor Danielle had wanted a serious relationship with each other. They had been friends with benefits and nothing more. They were perfectly capable of remaining friends and keeping up a business relationship without any awkwardness.

Danielle only worried for what Jamie might say. The woman had no filter and always said what was on her mind. Danielle was sure Jamie would have a few choice words when she learned that Kristine was back and planning to stay in North Carolina.

"You're awfully quiet." Kristine mused from the passenger seat.

Broken from her thoughts, Danielle flicked her gaze to Kristine then back to the road. "Sorry, just in my head is all." She smiled.

"About what?" Kristine asked.

"Oh nothing in particular" Danielle lied.

"Really? Cause you're blushing." Kristine pointed out.

Danielle bite her lip at having been caught in the lie. "Oh.." She trailed off, thankful as they pulled into the lot outside of the store. "Um well, the last time I saw Jamie...was uh kinda weird I guess."

"Weird how?"

"Don't worry about it." Danielle said quickly unbuckling her seat belt and getting out of the car. Kristine found the action to be odd, but figured Danielle wasn't obligated to tell her. She walked to the trunk of the car and helped carry the boxes inside. The bell above the door rang out as they entered and a voice called out.

"Be there in a second!"

"It's just me." Danielle replied and motioned to Kristine with her head to follow her to the back room.

"Oh good. I'm stuffing my face at the moment." Jamie laughed as the door swung open. "Oh well hello.." She said quickly slurping a pasta noodle into her mouth when she saw Danielle was not alone.

"Hi, I'm Kristine. It's great to meet you, I've heard a lot about you." Kristine smiled setting a box on the counter and walking towards the woman with an extended hand.

"Oh have you now?" Jamie smirked, briefly shaking the woman's hand.

"Behave yourself." Danielle interjected seeing the mischevious look in Jamie's eye.

Jamie gave her a pointed look then shook her head in understanding when her eyes met Danielle's. Kristine furrowed her brow in confusion watching the exchange.

"It feels like there is something I don't know." Kristine said.

"Oh honey, you don't want to know." Jamie laughed then looked to Danielle. "What have you got for me, is everything here this time?"

"The usual. Plus a few holiday themed pieces, since that time of head is coming. It's all here." Danielle said flipping open one of the boxes.

"Gross. I'm not ready for Christmas." Jamie said peeking into the box.