chapter nine

STEVE was shaking his head, one hand on the steering wheel while he used the other to emphasise his words while he spoke.

"I swear to God man it's probably just some kind of lizard, okay?"

"It's not a lizard!" Evelyn wasn't saying anything, she held air in her cheeks and looked around the car as if she wasn't the only one who thought this was crazy. Bringing her head back to her seat, in the car, with Steve Harrington and Dustin Henderson, she turned to Dustin with words in a higher octave than usual, trying to pretend she didn't think this whole ordeal was quite mental.

"Maybe it's like a massive desert lizard or something?"

"A desert lizard." Dustin deadpanned, moving his unimpressed eyes to Evelyn, "In the middle of Hawkins." Evelyn turned and looked out her window, grumbling with a pout.

"Sorry," She was muttering, as if she was the the crazy one. Steve looked at her as he drove with a smirk on his face, the street lamps highlighted her cheek bones and the green of her eyes as she stared at the road. Her lips were pink and split from chewing them with worry over Will and his family. She was pouting, crossing her arms. It was weirdly adorable. He looked away thinking nothing of it, and chuckled.

"It's not a lizard." Dustin said again and Evelyn jumped, laughing, when Steve's patience suddenly exploded and his hands swatted the air.

"How do you know?!"

"How do I know it's not a lizard?"

"Yes! How do you know it's not a lizard!" He was speeding, his hand cutting the air like a karate chop to outline his point but Evelyn put out her palms and scolded them both.

"Because his face opened up and it ate my cat!"

"Boys!" Dustin grumbled something about it but apologised. Steve's eyes flickered from Evelyn to the road and back again, mumbling his apology in turn. But then Evelyn processed Dustin's words, shouting aside, and turned fully in her seat to the boy sat behind her.

"What?!"

Steve went to say something, but just sighed and closed his mouth, looking back at the road and pulled the car on to what must have been the Henderson's drive, parking beside a yellow convertible.

All out of the car, Steve popped the boot and low and behold there was the infamous baseball bat with a mixture of rusty nails having been hammered into it. Evelyn, flabbergasted, looked at Dustin and Steve with her heart pounding in her chest. Her incredulous stare barely fazed them and she couldn't help but scoff to herself. What the hell. Steve took it and slammed the door shut. Catching her eye, he began speaking, but gave up. How could he even explain it.

"I-yeah."

Evelyn was surprisingly calm as she followed them. She barely asked questions, not even knowing what to say, so she just observed everything around her having no idea what to expect. Neither of the boys wanted her to be involved but there was an emergency and it would have taken too long to go back and drop Evelyn off and then drive all the way to Dustin's house so on Evelyn's bad luck, she ended up on Dustin's drive looking for a lizard-that-wasn't-a-lizard with Steve Harrington and his baseball bat and torch.

Dustin walked them to some red doors leading to a basement external to his house. They were chained, padlocked and bolted shut. Evelyn wondered why he was so fearful of this thing, even if it was massive, it was only a lizard.

"I don't hear shit." Steve said and Evelyn shook her head at his language, but stayed scowling at the doors. There was a thud as Steve hit the doors with the end of his spikey bat. He frowned at the silence. Evelyn tipped her head, and her hair tickeled her collarbones.