chapter twenty

BEFORE Evelyn opened her eyes she scrunched them tightly shut. She hummed a painful sigh, unable to yet open her mouth and Max was looking at her every few seconds when she could move her frantic eyes from the road. She was waking up.

"O..w.." Evelyn rolled in her seat and made the sound of a groan when her head knocked against something hard.

"Hey...hey." Evelyn turned her head slowly to the left, not totally in charge of her body yet and her hazel eyes pried through her glassy vision to where the sound was. She couldn't understand the noise yet and was confused to if it were a voice and if so, who's. "You're okay - we're all okay." Evelyn's eyebrows knitted together as she sighed again.

"Lu-Lucas?"

"Yeah..hey, you did great."

"You did awesome." That was definitely Dustin's voice and Evelyn tried to move her head back but she grimaced from a pain buzzing through her head. "Hey..hey..." She felt something touch her arm and looked to blink out the shape of a hand in her haze. "Don't-don't move." Dustin's goofy smile bled into his words. "You guys were great, even if you both got your ass's kicked". Evelyn frowned with someone else being mentioned. Her head was fuzzy and she couldn't place a name; slowly being dragged back into the events an hour before, she remembered the upsetting sight of Steve Harrington's bloody face and the screams of the children. Evelyn gasped. She suddenly turned her attention to whatever her hands were pressed against and where her head rested. She looked at the plastic beneath her hands and how her feet were hidden by a dash board and looked to the passenger door on her right. She realised rather terrified, they were in a car. And it was moving. Evelyn's alert but fuzzy eyes turned to the road, barely able to see it from where she sat slumped. Her breath hitched, accelerating. She could see Max's white knuckles as she gripped the steering wheel.

"What's going on?" Evelyn winced as she moved and the strange, clogged voice of Steve Harrington was behind her. She'd tried to turn but couldn't from the fist sized wound at the back of her head.

"It's cool, she's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot!"

"Oh my god. Oh my god"

"I said you'd be cool." Evelyn scowled out the window. She was forcing herself to be grounded - wishing her brain to function again and her concussion to pass. She bit her lip, trying to fathom her situation and a solution but her teeth grazed a dry clump of blood and it fell into her mouth. A blind panic set over her and suddenly she didn't need to think anymore. She could barely act fast enough - they were being driven by a thirteen year old and Evelyn could see a large tree trunk speeding into view and Lucas's shout of "Right! Right!" deafening her. It hit her all at once. Evelyn saw Max fight with the wheel.

"Shit!" Evelyn bolted up and wrapped her hands around the handbrake. She pulled it sharply up and the car screeched as it reluctantly spun ninety degrees, enough to swerve away from the tree they nearly crashed into. Everyone screamed while they circled and though Evelyn was now sat up straight in a panic in this strange car, she held the side of her head. She had moved too quickly and a line of white shot painfully through her eyes. Max was staring at Evelyn with wide eyes and was breathing heavily. Steve was still freaking out in the back of the car.

"Holy shit. I thought you were gonna kill us but that was great!" Dustin was saying, laughing, but Steve was protesting and trying to lift himself up.

"Where too, Lucas?" Evelyn held one eye shut, barely able to focus but trying her very best.

"Left-next left."

"Left?" Max scrunched her face.

"Now!" And so Evelyn lifted up the handbrake and Max stepped on the accelerator and turned the wheel. Everyone screamed until Evelyn centred the steering wheel and shouted Max to press on the brake. They'd arrived.